AFM cylinder deactivation delete? Whose dinner it. Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have heard horror stories regarding the cylinder deactivation on the LS series engines. Whose running an AFM delete? Any suggestions? Does it make a difference?

Thanks,
Nick

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy Nick. So what are you driving? AFM had lots of teething issues in the first few model years it was offered. Then GM released several improvements over the next few years that made it much more reliable. It works even better in the 2015+ trucks but the engine oiling system demands Dexos approved oils and CLEAN oil. The fibers from inexpensive paper filters clog up the screen under the oil pressure sensor and if pressure drops below 22 psi the system can fail if the computer doesn't disable it first. What are you driving?

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just purchased a 2015 Tahoe LT 4x4. I need to setup my signature but haven't actually had it very long. I bought it Tuesday night, then transmission went out of it on Wednesday less than 24hrs after purchase. It's now getting a remanufactured transmission installed. It has roughly 131,000 miles. Very clean inside and out with some minor door dings.

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea how to setup a signature or edit a post from Tapatalk? Apparently autocorrect thought "done it" and "dinner it" were the same.

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have AFM off in my tune from blackbear and with the tune and no AFM im getting maybe 2mpg less city than before and about the same highway. I imagine with it on and the tune id do better than stock.

As stated above the AFM system is much better than the old early versions but it requires quality clean oil and filters with proper changes.

Where did you get your reman trans from?

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I knew the history of the Tahoe I just purchased. I had a friend at a local GM dealership pull all the service records and it appears to have just had regular maintenance and oil changes. I believe it was a one owner and I'm guessing it didn't haul kids based on the seats and all the crevices that are free of kid debris lol... it maybe my kids are just messier than average.

Any brand suggestion on oil? I've always ran mobile 1 and Valvoline.

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Mobil Dexron VI in my trans. I am thinking next service Ill flush and switch to amsoil but not sure on it yet. Mobil can be had at a great price on summit. I got a case of 18qts for under 100 shipped.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have it turned off with a BB tune on the Silverado for maybe 2-3k miles now and have had it turned off on the Yukon with a canned tune for around 45k miles. I for one can feel and hear it when it's active but I am kind of in sync with my vehicles I am always listening for even the slightest change, when I don't have the music blasted lol I don't drive calm enough to even notice any mpg difference my foot is usually pretty heavy. I use mobile 1 full synthetic and change the oil every 3k

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just purchased a 2015 Tahoe LT 4x4. I need to setup my signature but haven't actually had it very long. I bought it Tuesday night, then transmission went out of it on Wednesday less than 24hrs after purchase. It's now getting a remanufactured transmission installed. It has roughly 131,000 miles. Very clean inside and out with some minor door dings.

Darn, saw that in the other post. Post up some pics when you can. Change the differential and transfer case fluids and flush the cooling system too. Pull a spark plug and see if it looks like it was changed at 100K or just put in new plugs and wires.

Is this an early or later 2015?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons