Advice on suspension and tire combo for 2008 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '07 Yukon and did a 1" level up front (.87" spacer below the lower strut purchase). It still has a very slight rake. When I tried the 1.5" level kit spacers, the truck had a slight squat, so reinstalled the .87" spacers up front. I have the Autoride suspension, so installed a small plate to raise the ride height sensor the proper amount (it wasn't much, like 1/4", raising it's mount position straight up).

With this level kit and a trim on my front valance, I have excellent ground clearance up front (more than what I actually have under the truck), so rarely have to worry about snagging the valance and tearing it off on a big rock on the trail.

I have the optional factory 20" wheels and with the factory 275/55/20 tires and from day one had some clearance issues inside the wheel well at full lock. In time things wore away and now I have no rubbing. This combination is slightly wider than your stock setup and very close to the same diameter. I agree with the advice to stick with 17" wheels, as the sidewall height on the 20's is pretty short and offers little margin for error in unforgiving terrain. I would be very surprised if you could fit anything wider than 275's with an aspect ratio that brings you up to stock diameter, without some heat gun work on the plastic in the wheel wells, at least at full lock.

Good luck and have fun.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With an 18 inch wheel you can run a 265 or 275 tire and keep it around 32.5-.32.75 inches tall. The 275-70-18s are 33.16 inches tall and would look good with a 3 or 4 inch lift. I don't know if anyone ever stuffed them under our generation and what it entailed to make it work.

I did. I have 275/70/18 Duratracs with a 2/1 level. No rubbing at all ever but it required A LOT of trimming. It actually wasn't as bad with the stock wheels. It was when I got the aftermarket wheels (+18 offset) that it really got messy.

20210724_165507.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did. I have 275/70/18 Duratracs with a 2/1 level. No rubbing at all ever but it required A LOT of trimming. It actually wasn't as bad with the stock wheels. It was when I got the aftermarket wheels (+18 offset) that it really got messy.

View attachment 353203
Thanks for letting us know and sharing your trials! Looks great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts