2019 Tahoe..Advice on body repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need some advice from experienced body repair guys.

I have a gouge in my right rear lower fascia on my 2019 Tahoe. Took it to two reputable body shops. First one quotes about $1,100 to repair and over $1,400 to replace the entire panel (one-piece fascia - bumper cover and both side panels). Would use a 3-step paint like the factory finish. Recommended full replacement rather than repair. I have used this shop before for an insurance claim and was very pleased.

2nd shop recommended repair and repair damaged area and clear coat the entire fascia instead for replacing the bumper for $450. He uses a two step, water-based paint instead of the 3 step like the OEM paint.

Both shops use computer color matching. Both promise exact color match.

Is anyone familiar with the water-based auto paint and have any experience with it? What would you do? I can get an estimate
from another shop.

8182B7E4-94CF-4D66-B547-F67D8B49DA73.jpeg

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need some advice from experienced body repair guys.

I have a gouge in my right rear lower fascia on my 2019 Tahoe. Took it to two reputable body shops. First one quotes about $1,100 to repair and over $1,400 to replace the entire panel (one-piece fascia - bumper cover and both side panels). Would use a 3-step paint like the factory finish. Recommended full replacement rather than repair. I have used this shop before for an insurance claim and was very pleased.

2nd shop recommended repair and repair damaged area and clear coat the entire fascia instead for replacing the bumper for $450. He uses a two step, water-based paint instead of the 3 step like the OEM paint.

Both shops use computer color matching. Both promise exact color match.

Is anyone familiar with the water-based auto paint and have any experience with it? What would you do? I can get an estimate
from another shop.

View attachment 238869
From what I have read, if applied properly, a 2 step water based paint is just as good as the 3 step solvent based paint. I would have no problem with either. I would ask more about how each shop would do the repair. A $650 difference in cost seems more than the cost of the paint.

I would also ask the second shop what they would charge to replace it, even though they recommend repairing it, so you can have a couple points of comparison.

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does either of them have any kind of guaranty? I'd want to know more about that for each of them.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does either of them have any kind of guaranty? I'd want to know more about that for each of them.

Yeah. Good point. Work I have had done at body shops guarantee the work for as long I as I own the car. I actually had an issue a few years later and they fixed it no questions asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14

Latest posts