Advice on 2001 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mooseman93

Reaction score
Everyone - I’m looking at purchasing my first Suburban (although I’ve owned a 2004 Avalanche & 2007 Silverado) as a spare vehicle and wanted some advice on this deal.

This is a 2001 Suburban LT 1500 4x2 with 220k miles for $1,900. With that said, it’s being sold by an older gentleman who purchased it brand new and has been letting his daughter drive it lately. Also, this truck has spent its life in Texas so rust really isn’t an issue.

The owner mentioned having done some engine work to seal some oil leaks and replacing the injectors but it still has an occasional misfire. Otherwise no mechanical issues, but some typical window motors dead/dying. My personal concerns are basically the transmission, engine and AC system but for the price it seems like a good deal to me. I sold the Avalanche and Silverado both around 160k miles without any major fixes so I’m not sure what to expect with the extra mileage. Does anyone have any pointers of specific items to look for and what some potential upcoming repairs should be expected and what kind of budget for those repairs?

Thank you!

Keep a close eye on the brake lines. 2001 is of the vintage where they all rusted out. Favorable climate and garaging can delay it but it's still going to happen, pretty much guaranteed unless the guy already took care of it, which is also a good possibility. To me, that's the big one. The rest of the common problems have been mentioned by others. None of these are deal-breakers, more like just a heads up. These are awesome trucks.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone - I’m looking at purchasing my first Suburban (although I’ve owned a 2004 Avalanche & 2007 Silverado) as a spare vehicle and wanted some advice on this deal.

This is a 2001 Suburban LT 1500 4x2 with 220k miles for $1,900. With that said, it’s being sold by an older gentleman who purchased it brand new and has been letting his daughter drive it lately. Also, this truck has spent its life in Texas so rust really isn’t an issue.

The owner mentioned having done some engine work to seal some oil leaks and replacing the injectors but it still has an occasional misfire. Otherwise no mechanical issues, but some typical window motors dead/dying. My personal concerns are basically the transmission, engine and AC system but for the price it seems like a good deal to me. I sold the Avalanche and Silverado both around 160k miles without any major fixes so I’m not sure what to expect with the extra mileage. Does anyone have any pointers of specific items to look for and what some potential upcoming repairs should be expected and what kind of budget for those repairs?

Thank you!
good truck just go into knowing there will be some parts that only fit 00-02, also know that 00 was a redesign year they made 2 trucks some were made with the old (obs) style and some with (nbs) new style, so just a heads up since then many parts suppliers will mixup obs/nbs around that year as long as you order for at least 01 you should be good, then they made a lot of changes again in 03 they didn't change everything but there were a lot electrical changes and interior trim changes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt