Adding USB to dash...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan, I'm trying to understand your explanation above. I'm trying to push the silver part deeper into the hole so it cant be seen but will have a usb cig charger connected to it and that is also pushed inside the hole as well. That white cable, where is it going to? I see it goes to the dash hole but where does it connect on the metal part? I thought it would connect in that usb hole that we see near green LED but looks like its connected elsewhere?

Any instructions on how to pop out the charger in the second row? I would like to run USB/AUX from there (USB to charge but not sure whats involved with popping that one out? Even if the concept was the same (twist or pop from metal points), the rear seems to need removal so the connection can be hidden behind (if there is even enough space)

Am I doing too much here? It seems like to get the entire piece to fit through the hole, I have to make the original mounting hole bigger

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nathan, I'm trying to understand your explanation above. I'm trying to push the silver part deeper into the hole so it cant be seen but will have a usb cig charger connected to it and that is also pushed inside the hole as well.

You'll have to take the silver part out (pull it out) and then remove the black ring around it, and then you can hide it.

This is how it will come out...

5N7Ctqw.jpg

ieCbGwA.jpg

That white cable, where is it going to? I see it goes to the dash hole but where does it connect on the metal part? I thought it would connect in that usb hole that we see near green LED but looks like its connected elsewhere?

Any instructions on how to pop out the charger in the second row? I would like to run USB/AUX from there (USB to charge but not sure whats involved with popping that one out? Even if the concept was the same (twist or pop from metal points), the rear seems to need removal so the connection can be hidden behind (if there is even enough space)

Definitely can be done.

Am I doing too much here? It seems like to get the entire piece to fit through the hole, I have to make the original mounting hole bigger

You can remove it like it shows in the pictures and unplug it and then push it into the dash.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but if this doesn't make sense at all, you might want to pay someone to do it so you don't mess up your dash. Maybe take it apart and look for yourself and see if it starts to make sense.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I do better with visual and even then, I really need to see it to truly understand but your feedback is helping a lot.

Focusing on the cig lighter in the second row under the rear audio controls. When I pop up cover, I should be able to pull the silver part forward after pushing on the black pieces holding it in its place. Then it looks like the cover/surround can be twisted off. I should have access to what I need from there. I'll take a look, thanks.

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea I do better with visual and even then, I really need to see it to truly understand but your feedback is helping a lot.

Focusing on the cig lighter in the second row under the rear audio controls. When I pop up cover, I should be able to pull the silver part forward after pushing on the black pieces holding it in its place. Then it looks like the cover/surround can be twisted off.

pulled out, yes

I should have access to what I need from there. I'll take a look, thanks.

No problem. Let me know if you have any other questions once you get in to it. Like I said, it might make more sense once you're in their and see what I'm trying to explain.

Ejbarah

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just purchased OEM one for my 2009 Tahoe from eBay come complete bezel for 19.95$
2007-2013 Silverado Escalade Dual Power Receptacle Cigarette Lighter & USB Bezel.
if anyone interest here it is
eBay item number:

s-l1600.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased OEM one for my 2009 Tahoe from eBay come complete bezel for 19.95$
2007-2013 Silverado Escalade Dual Power Receptacle Cigarette Lighter & USB Bezel.
eBay item number:

View attachment 199573

Nice deal. Had I known this was an option I surely would've gotten it instead of retrofitting my original one.

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
eBay item number:

View attachment 199573
Just ordered this, thanks for the link. I'll post up how it installs when I get it and get a chance to install.

richborba1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First, I did this for my aftermarket Pioneer 8400BH head unit.

For people who have stock Navigation and have the USB in your center console, this is the same thing, using the same wire to your head unit, just in the dash instead of in your center console. SUVs get the USB in the center console, Trucks got the USB on the dash.

This will play music and video files from my iPhone, iPad, thumb drive and a regular hard drive. However, on some instances there's not enough power to start the hard drive, so you will have to power it up using the power cord to a cig lighter adapter or something else. It will also charge my iPhone as well.

Part numbers:

USB Cover Plug - 20983937
USB Receptacle (in dash) - 20944422

The only difference in the cover is it shows the USB symbol. The plain cover on your cig lighter will work. See this thread for more info as it's the thread the idea came from...

USB cigarette lighter port

On to the pics...

View attachment 132025

View attachment 132026

View attachment 132027

View attachment 132028

View attachment 132029

Remove radio surround
View attachment 132030

2 7mm screws to remove the cig lighter piece.
View attachment 132031

Then there are 2 clips holding the cig lighter in place. You have to open the cover to pull the cig plug out. and then 2 clips to get the cover off
View attachment 132032

Put the USB cover back in place
View attachment 132033

push the USB receptacle back in
View attachment 132034

Using an aftermarket USB male to mini USB male adapter, pug the mini USB in to the back of the new receptacle and the USB in to the back of your aftermarket radio.
View attachment 132035

Put everything back together just like you took it apart and your done...

View attachment 132036

View attachment 132037

View attachment 132038

View attachment 132039

Edit:

For those of you that want to add USB charging only, you can simply get a USB cigarette lighter adapter and tuck the main part behind the radio like this...

View attachment 132040

View attachment 132041

So I did this also on my 2011 Silverado using that cable but now my issue is car play wont work well. Do you use car play also? How does it work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep