Adding USB to dash...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would imagine ipod draws same if not more power than a dinky chromecast/firestick. Thanks for feedback. What battery are you running though?

1_zpsa51c0e20-jpg.132041

I'm looking to do the same thing you did here but in the center console. I guess I could drill a hole to get an extended wire to the back of the radio to plug into the chromecast. Do you know of a cleaner method?

Was hoping I could keep the charger covered and pop out (or I guess push in?) the charger and have an added usb charger connect to it and run to the chromecast from under center area. If I lift the cover, I would just see a hole. Is this possible? How did you pop it out of its location? If its not possible to have something there to cover hole, I rather drill/cut hole at bottom of the compartment and just run usb through it to back of radio for chromecast.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would imagine ipod draws same if not more power than a dinky chromecast/firestick. Thanks for feedback. What battery are you running though?

Nothing special, I actually have no idea as I haven't changed it since I bought the truck...

I'm looking to do the same thing you did here but in the center console. I guess I could drill a hole to get an extended wire to the back of the radio to plug into the chromecast. Do you know of a cleaner method?

I did it in my center console as well. This is hooked to the back of my Pioneer radio.I just used a longer USB cable. Here's info in my SIlverado build thread...
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/nathanjaxs-2007-crew-cab-silverado-build-thread.95810/
80ApIkg.jpg

Was hoping I could keep the charger covered and pop out (or I guess push in?) the charger and have an added usb charger connect to it and run to the chromecast from under center area. If I lift the cover, I would just see a hole. Is this possible? How did you pop it out of its location? If its not possible to have something there to cover hole, I rather drill/cut hole at bottom of the compartment and just run usb through it to back of radio for chromecast.

huh?

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got stuck looking at your build, awesome job man. Regarding my confusing question above, hope below explanation helps.

In that same location, I have a USB and below is a hole to put a cig light charger in. I have the USB setup to go to the head unit already and there is a flash drive plugged in. I dont want to touch that setup. I want the cig lighter port to be converted to USB then run under the compartment, and under the cup holders to the chromecast behind the head unit. I was hoping I can pop that cig lighter out of where it is and have all wiring handled behind the scenes underneath the compartment area. If not, I can plug a charger in port (similar to what you are doing and run a wire THROUGH compartment (by cutting hole) which would go under cup holder area and towards back of HU ( to connect to chromecast). I prefer the first option even though it sounds the most complicated but only if I can cover that hole that will be created with the cig lighter piece popped off and tucked behind or under compartment. Right now, its setup like the ones under the radio with a hole and a cover over the hole that can be clipped up. I want to keep that cover just to keep the hole covered but not sure if thats possible.

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got stuck looking at your build, awesome job man.

Thanks

I was hoping I can pop that cig lighter out of where it is and have all wiring handled behind the scenes underneath the compartment area.

If not, I can plug a charger in port (similar to what you are doing and run a wire THROUGH compartment (by cutting hole) which would go under cup holder area and towards back of HU ( to connect to chromecast). I prefer the first option even though it sounds the most complicated but only if I can cover that hole that will be created with the cig lighter piece popped off and tucked behind or under compartment. Right now, its setup like the ones under the radio with a hole and a cover over the hole that can be clipped up. I want to keep that cover just to keep the hole covered but not sure if thats possible.

You can, same adapter as that pic above, just longer USB cable to the chromecast. You can use the same USB cover that in my original post.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you pop off the charger that was originally there? Do you pop it forward? From your feedback, the cover can sit there without any other piece. Thanks for confirming.

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you pop off the charger that was originally there? Do you pop it forward? From your feedback, the cover can sit there without any other piece. Thanks for confirming.

There are holes that the metal piece slides into the black piece that hold it together. They slide out towards you. You can see the holes in the metal in this pic...

2_zps56d0f624-jpg.132040

mazdawg(Mikey)

HGIC(head ginger in charge)
Reaction score
yeah pretty much the same, we used the PAC version but it looks identical. im probably gonna end up doing it to the wifes tahoe.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt even know that existed! Thats pretty neat. I can only imagine the double takes people do when they see a chromecast/firestick sticking out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518