Adding some HP and getting rid of DOD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
sfc_jones

sfc_jones

Reaction score
Any updates on how it runs now? How do you like the camshaft?
I like it but maybe I should have done a high lift, second guessing my choices but I wanted to run regular pump gas and just be a little sleeper out on the road.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I have been so busy that I haven't had a chance to get back on this little project. I did have to replace the oil pump a few weeks ago but now I am looking at On3 Performance and or a Procharger. My goal is 450 to 500 HP at the wheels. So I know that Long Tube headers are a must as well as deleting the Cats.

What oil pump did you go with? What happened to your pump?
If you go with a SCer, LTs are a must but with a turbo manifolds will be provided with the kit.

I have been pondering the thought of a turbo, they're inexpensive and can provide gobs of power. My only concern is reliability. Would this be for a daily driver or more of a fun runner?
I'd love a Maggy :)

OP
OP
sfc_jones

sfc_jones

Reaction score
The part number on the pump was a melling 10296 and not sure what caused the failure. It just wouldn't prime on startup. If you feathered the gas then the oil pressure would get to about 12-15 psi and be ok until the motor set over night. The new pump is just awesome. never drops below 45 psi. Even when it is hot. I don't really drive the Tahoe very much. I doubt that I put a 1k miles on it last year. My son is trying to get me to go with a On3 Performance turbo package. They do alot of them at his workplace and for the price of 2k minus tuning is a great deal. If I had the money to spend I would rather drop a LS3 motor in this thing that was built and spank some butt...but I am wanting to retire pretty soon so I am watching my money.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part number on the pump was a melling 10296 and not sure what caused the failure. It just wouldn't prime on startup. If you feathered the gas then the oil pressure would get to about 12-15 psi and be ok until the motor set over night. The new pump is just awesome. never drops below 45 psi. Even when it is hot. I don't really drive the Tahoe very much. I doubt that I put a 1k miles on it last year. My son is trying to get me to go with a On3 Performance turbo package. They do alot of them at his workplace and for the price of 2k minus tuning is a great deal. If I had the money to spend I would rather drop a LS3 motor in this thing that was built and spank some butt...but I am wanting to retire pretty soon so I am watching my money.

Thanks for sharing the part #. That's the exact one I'll be getting. I also have one of thesehttp://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pumps-mechanical/ls-engine-oil-pump-pickup-tube-brace-clamp-p-642.html
I'm with you, I'd much rather have an larger motor. I've been eying TMS LS3 short block for my future motor purchase when my 5.3 kicks the bucket. Nothing radical though. It's still a 5200+lb brick haha.
I can also completely understand about budgeting. If I were even close to retiring, every penny would be going towards that. Congrats on that, I wish you the best.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sucks to hear about the oil pump, hopefully youve got it all sorted out!
Displacement is nice ;) i did a little bigger cam, 218/228 .600 lift in my 6.2 when i deleted dod.

OP
OP
sfc_jones

sfc_jones

Reaction score
Well I decided to get the Tahoe out and drive it alittle and discovered the rear brakes were dragging. SO I replaced the brake lines and calipers and was able to resolve that problem. Now my son is trying to convince me to buy his motor out of his G8 which is almost 700HP at the wheels. He installed a 6.2 motor but has decided he wants to go upwards to a 550 CI. That is way hotter is what I want so I am actually thinking of installing a LS3 pullout of a Camero. Put a Whipple or Procharger on it and call it a day. BTW, I can get a pullout with tranny for 6k low miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts