Adding some HP and getting rid of DOD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sfc_jones

Reaction score
I have decided to change out the cam and get rid of the Displacement on depend crap.
Going to order a DOD delete kit and install low lift stage 2 cam 212/218,. 550"/550", 112 LSA ICL Cam and of course a set of LS6 Springs and lifters.
Anything else I need to do while I have the heads off?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
You didn't mention it but I assume you will install a new timing chain while you are in there.

I just installed an LS2 timing chain while I had it apart to install my new high volume/ high pressure oil pump. Mellings 10355.

Before the new pump I had about 40psi at cold idle and about 25psi at hot idle with 5W30 Mobil 1 extended performance full synthetic oil.

After the new pump I have a little above 60psi when cold and a little below 60psi when up to temperature with the same oil.

The only other thing I changed that may have affected the oil pressure was I replaced the oil pressure relief valve in the oil pan just in case it was weak and allowing pressure to bleed off too early and I also removed the screen that is below the oil pressure sending unit.

Adding a new oil pump certainly wouldn't hurt anything since you are that far into it and it's relatively cheap insurance.

OP
OP
sfc_jones

sfc_jones

Reaction score
Oh yeah for sure, I will changing the timing chain. I haven't thought about changing the oil pump. I will have to think about that. So far what I am doing will cost 1k including the dyno tune so I think this will be a cheap HP increase

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$1,000 for parts, labor and tune? Not bad at all! Where are you getting this done at? Is this on your '07 Tahoe or '10 Suburban?

Long tube headers are a must, especially if you're cammed. The ones from Speed Engineering are nice and are available with a Y-pipe, but they may need minor tweaking to bolt up to the rest of the factory exhaust. It's a hit-or-miss thing. Any decent shop should be able to adjust for any fitment issues. Their $350 price leaves plenty of room in the budget to account for the potential fitment labor. If you don't need cat converters in your area, these would be ideal since you're getting a custom tune and they can tune out the downstream O2 sensors. Long tubes on an LS engine are commonly reported to be a 20-40 HP upgrade. This will vary depending on other mods and tuning, both of which you will have addressed.

https://www.speed-engineering.com/s...-1-3-4-longtube-headers-y-pipe-2007-2013.html

kbuskill

Reaction score
Oh yeah for sure, I will changing the timing chain. I have thought about changing the oil pump. I will have to think about that. So far what I am doing will cost 1k including the dyno tune so I think this will be a cheap HP increase
Well you have to pull the oil pump to change the timing chain anyway so at very least I would replace the O-ring on the oil pump pickup tube.

The Mellings 10355 can be found on Ebay for around $150. In the auto stores near me it is closers to $200 but I have a buddy who is the commercial parts manager so I get pretty good deals from him.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forget which engine(s), but the OEM oil pump was actually supplied by Melling. And I agree with the LS2 timing set. To be more specific, and I don't know if there's any difference, but I got what was called the "LS2 HD" timing set when I was building my LQ9 because it's what they used on the road race Corvettes over other factory and aftermarket timing sets.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long tube headers are a must, especially if you're cammed. The ones from Speed Engineering are nice and are available with a Y-pipe, but they may need minor tweaking to bolt up to the rest of the factory exhaust. It's a hit-or-miss thing. Any decent shop should be able to adjust for any fitment issues. Their $350 price leaves plenty of room in the budget to account for the potential fitment labor. If you don't need cat converters in your area, these would be ideal since you're getting a custom tune and they can tune out the downstream O2 sensors. Long tubes on an LS engine are commonly reported to be a 20-40 HP upgrade. This will vary depending on other mods and tuning, both of which you will have addressed.

https://www.speed-engineering.com/s...-1-3-4-longtube-headers-y-pipe-2007-2013.html

Thread-jack: Been daydreaming about LT headers for a while, but I live in an area that measures emissions every two years. :oops:

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
just did this on my 16. I put on headers and catless y pipe for more flow. Ordered a blower today... you are gonna want one!

Be prepared. You're probably gonna up the boost like I did. I got a 3.0 pulley I want to install but I'm going to replace my trans 1st.

If you're going to do headers, I highly recommend American Racing headers. They are a beaut and made a big difference in my truck

IMG_7485.JPG

kbuskill

Reaction score
iamdub said:
I forget which engine(s), but the OEM oil pump was actually supplied by Melling. And I agree with the LS2 timing set. To be more specific, and I don't know if there's any difference, but I got what was called the "LS2 HD" timing set when I was building my LQ9 because it's what they used on the road race Corvettes over other factory and aftermarket timing sets.

The engines with AFM come from the factory with a high volume pump. The high volume high pressure is supposed to increase pressure by 10% which is only about 4-5 psi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons