Adding Power Running Boards to Non-Factory Equipped Model

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juanpz711

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I started this thread on the CadillacForums but it doesn't get as much traffic as over here so I figured I post and get your thoughts.

So I'm wanting to add the clean look of the powered running boards to my Escalade that came from the factory with fixed steps. I've tried to do some digging and haven't come up with a definitive answer just yet, and from talking to serge I'm trying to figure out a possible solution.

The attached PDF ( http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...oards-non-factory-power-running-board-pdf.pdf ) is the wiring schematic for the power running boards. My interpretation of the schematic is as follows:

The big box on the left is the power running board control module, which I would have for the conversion. It appears the majority of the wires go between the boards and the module itself, a good thing becauase they will co-exist together.

The multifunction switch and wire under the dash (for the switch to disable/enable them) should be no problem as those would be provided with the conversion as well.

In my eyes only 3 wires exit the module
1) Wire #2 - blk (left rear of engine compartment) for ground - simple just ground the wire to my vehicle
2) Wire #5 - red/blk (underhood fuse box, hot at all times) - simple, run the wire to a permanent power source with an inline relay / switch
3) Wire # H - dk grn (computer data lines system) - the potential problem child. I am not sure if all models are equipped with a "computer data line system" wire that runs from the fuse box into the ECM or if that is a special feature for factory equipped power running board models.

Obviously from the diagram you can determine that Wire # H is what controls the boards and tells them when to open and close. I feel like this might be the biggest hurdle because if the "computer data line system" wire is specific to the factory equipped model than I would have no way to control when the boards open / close.

***FOLLOW ON RESEARCH YIELDED***
found the install instructions for the AMP steps, havent had time to completely digest them yet but atleast it list all the locations and colors of the "trigger wires" it would take to get these wired up...the forum says the document is too large to upload so I'll have to compress it later

So after pondering over this some more, and reading some posts on another forum I found in a google search, I'm starting to think this is not feasible

While the power assist control module is in control of the boards operation, the signal for that operation purely comes from the BCM via the Wire #H "computer data lines system". According to this statement in another forum:

"They are controlled by a assist step control module that has sole control over operations. The bcm and IPC are also programmed specifically for this option bc they also play a role in operation. The turn signal switch is also different because it has a disable switch built into it that communicates on or off the the step assist control module.

This module ties into the databus.

You cant enable the option unfortunately because it was never a factory option on the trucks. You cant flash the truck bcm for a escalade suv because the turn signals will quit functioning correctly.

Tech 2 cant enable it anyways even on suv that is something that has to be done through TIS OE programming software. "

So the BCM signals the control module to perform the specified function. On non-factory equipped models the BCM does not have the capability to do so thus there is no way to signal the control module for action.

I was thinking it may still be possible using the wiring sequence from the AMP power steps BUT you would only have 1 wire coming out of the control module and would have to tie it to 4 seperate wires running to pass door open, pass door close, driver door open, driver door close and there would be no way to regulate it because the "signal" would just be power, therefore it wouldnt know whether its to open close do a flip or roll over lol

I hate to say it but this may be chaulked up as a loss : (

So i was thinking if the (trigger wire) isnt a actual data wire and is only a 12v signal sent into the control module for the steps you could just tie into the dome lights because they light up when ever any door is open. There also wouldn't be any issue with continous voltage because the motors have limit switches on them.

BTSRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got the power boards to work on a 2021 Escalade Yukon Tahoe? Boards are mounted...just need power. Going to try door trigger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons