Adding front bump stops?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok.

So I got everything back on and tried the timbren bumps.

The bumps are huge and where they contact the lower control arm, it’s skinny.
The other problem is the bumps contact the arm at ride height, and that’s even with the coilovers having lifted the front an 1 or so over stock.

Ride became very stiff and raised the front, making it so the coilover had very little droop available. That will make the ride suck.

I didn’t want to drive around hoping the bumps will settle.

I reached out to timbren to see if they think the bump rubber material will stay together if I cut the bottom third out of it.

They asked me to send pics and measurements. Maybe they will send a new shorter bump?

I reset the “bumps” on the shocks to see how much shock I’m using on daily driving. The front is everything. The rear is what you can see on a 10” travel shock.
The front is a 4.9” travel coilover which is standard for king, fox, ads. I would like to see if there is a droop block that can be taken out to get “extended travel” numbers which is another .5 inch.
I’ll advise.

Attachments

• 04D3CBC2-7D59-4EF9-AFAA-6161D53012CE.jpeg
    04D3CBC2-7D59-4EF9-AFAA-6161D53012CE.jpeg
    353.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2547.jpeg
    IMG_2547.jpeg
    355.7 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Sorry for the delay.

I cut an inch out of the timbren mount. Hoping that would be enough to work, and it would give me more data.

Yea. Still terrible. And the sway bar, even with the their extension parts hit really bad
So I reached out to Perry’s bumps to see if they could sell me a skinnier bump to sub in.

I started taking measurements and calculating travel at the lca where the bump will hit etc. And cycling the suspension etc.

So here is the crappy thing. I cut an inch out of the timbren mount. And if I don’t run a rubber bump, the lca will just “kiss” the bump mount at full compression.

So that means I need to cut it shorter. And get the squish number for the bump rubber and make those numbers match etc. so the bump rubber will fully squish before the shock fully compresses.

I think I’m going to go with a 1.5” or 1.75” thick bump.

But this explains why timbren completely redesigned their bump mount. It’s shorter.,,

Kind of pisses me off that they won’t send me a set since I brought this to their attention and they redesigned the part.

And to the snow plow people. This set up would not work. You will be fully extended with no droop, and your entire front end will be using the upper control arm mount to carry it. It is not designed for that. At all.

The bump if properly designed will share that worst case scenario for short events. Not a constant load

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts