Adding/enabling tow/haul mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chad98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2014 ppv that I want to enable the tow/haul mode on so I can tow my 17' bass boat. My question is what do I need? Do I just need the civilian Tahoe gearshifter with the tow button? Is the wiring for the tow/haul mode already there? Or would it just be ok to use the transmission in the manual mode by restricting it to 5th gear? I'm new to the ppv so I'd appreciate those of you who know about them to chime in, thanks!

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 ppv that I want to enablethe tow/haul mode on so I can tow my 17' bass boat. My question is what do I need? Do I just need the civilian Tahoe gearshifter with the tow button? Is the wiring for the tow/haul mode already there? Or would it just be ok to use the transmission in the manual mode by restricting it to 5th gear? I'm new to the ppv so I'd appreciate those of you who know about them to chime in, thanks!

Interesting, I would like to know how to do these things too (I am planning on towing my CJ5 on a flat bed trailer.)

Actually, yesterday I installed the DIC in the car, and it shows a bunch of options to turn on and off, besides all the other info.

Would be cool (or maybe there already is) a compact list of these options/settings without having to dig all through the manual.

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wished I had T/H mode too, but when I had my AFM tuned out I had him bump the shift points up a little, and it feels like it is tow/haul all the time. Maybe that's what he did, although there is no light. Haven't towed anything heavy yet, but it wouldn't be a big deal just to run it in M5 if needed.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too am curious I have a 2010 Tahoe PPV.

I have a 2013 SSV, and like to know "all the options" I was talking to a GM dealer yesterday, about installing fog lights, Apparently there is a difference between a PPV, a Municipal Service vehicle, and an SSV. The fog lights can be installed, factory, on an SSV, but not on a PPV nor a "Municipal Service vehicle". I thought there were only SSVs and PPVs (but what do I know).

Morales1995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have heard you just need a different gear shift and then I've heard you need that and a new cable, I've put in the impact so I have a hitch and the wiring was tucked away so I mean it's possible but I would like to make sure.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have heard you just need a different gear shift and then I've heard you need that and a new cable, I've put in the impact so I have a hitch and the wiring was tucked away so I mean it's possible but I would like to make sure.

So mine is set up for towing, I was told, I do have the factory trailer brake stuff in the dash and I do seem to have a shifter with "some extras" I can take pics of that if anyone is interested.

OP
OP
Chad98

Chad98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So mine is set up for towing, I was told, I do have the factory trailer brake stuff in the dash and I do seem to have a shifter with "some extras" I can take pics of that if anyone is interested.
I'm interested, a picture would help

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems that it should be possible with a pushbutton simply installed in the dash. Just need to find a schematic for the switch, plus determine if they use a latching pushbutton, or a relay? I don't really need it on the end of the shift lever anyway.

OP
OP
Chad98

Chad98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wished I had T/H mode too, but when I had my AFM tuned out I had him bump the shift points up a little, and it feels like it is tow/haul all the time. Maybe that's what he did, although there is no light. Haven't towed anything heavy yet, but it wouldn't be a big deal just to run it in M5 if needed.
Is running in m5 the same thing as "locking out overdrive?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17