Adding an aftermarket radio to 07-14 FAQ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend the maestro interface to hook up all your factory stuff. You hook it to a pc through usb to program everything into it like factory amp, steering wheel controls, chimes etc and then unhook it from the pc and install it in your truck with the stereo. Also, most of the Pioneers have inputs for 2 cameras, not sure about other brands. Unfortunately it all comes with a price.
Thanks. I'll look into Maestro. Incidentally my brother is a rocket scientist.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger today:

ITEM​
QTY​
PRICE​
g12035AV6-F.jpg
Metra AIP-35AV6​
1​
$12.99​
g130AVW8600-o_other0-1.jpg
Pioneer AVIC-W8600NEX​
1​
$1,200.00​
MasterSheet Installation Instructions​
MasterSheet Installation Instructions
We will send your MasterSheet™ by email.​
1​
$0.00​
g12040CR10-F.jpg
Metra 40-CR10 Antenna Adapter​
1​
$9.90​
x120953305-f.jpg
Metra 95-3305 Dash Kit (Black)​
1​
$13.20​
g264PASCON-o_other3.jpg
Crutchfield ReadyHarness™ Service​
1​
$24.99​
g794ADSMRR-F.jpg
iDatalink Maestro RR Interface Module​
1​
$132.11​
g794HAVGM5-F-1.jpg
iDatalink HRN-AV-GM5​
1​
$28.07​
g794HRRGM5-F.jpg
iDatalink ADS HRN-RR-GM5+ Interface Harness (ADS-MRR or ADS-MRR2 module also required)​
1​
$53.67​
Subtotal:​
$1,474.93​
Sales tax (TN):​
$143.80​
Shipping:​
Free​
Order total​
$1,618.73​

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of installing the Pioneer AVIC-W8600NEX in my Tahoe. The radio came with a GPS antenna but my Tahoe has navigation and thus has one in a perfect location with the wire running to the stock radio. The connector won't fit the Pioneer. Does anyone know if it's compatible?

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DOh. Just did a search here and see nobody has gotten it to work. I'll try to contact Pioneer and see what they say.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of installing the Pioneer AVIC-W8600NEX in my Tahoe. The radio came with a GPS antenna but my Tahoe has navigation and thus has one in a perfect location with the wire running to the stock radio. The connector won't fit the Pioneer. Does anyone know if it's compatible?

DOh. Just did a search here and see nobody has gotten it to work. I'll try to contact Pioneer and see what they say.
AFAIK it won’t work. Let us know what Pioneer says. These types of antennas are generally tuned specifically for the particular GPS receiver, they’re not like an AM/ FM antenna where they work with any brand of receiver.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFAIK it won’t work. Let us know what Pioneer says. These types of antennas are generally tuned specifically for the particular GPS receiver, they’re not like an AM/ FM antenna where they work with any brand of receiver.
We'll see if they respond. I used their online support system to ask my question.

I'm waiting to see which GPS antenna I will be using so my dash is kinda scattered but I found another oddity.

My radio includes the ability to turn on the backup camera for checking on a trailer. Something I really wanted. The backup camera works fine in reverse but I get a blank screen with the button. Even switching between camera inputs.

Then there's the microphone. I hoped to tap into the OnStar mic because it works well and is integrated into the tahoe but then there's nothing plugged into the mic input and indeed it doesn't work.

More to learn.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll see if they respond. I used their online support system to ask my question.

I'm waiting to see which GPS antenna I will be using so my dash is kinda scattered but I found another oddity.

My radio includes the ability to turn on the backup camera for checking on a trailer. Something I really wanted. The backup camera works fine in reverse but I get a blank screen with the button. Even switching between camera inputs.

Then there's the microphone. I hoped to tap into the OnStar mic because it works well and is integrated into the tahoe but then there's nothing plugged into the mic input and indeed it doesn't work.

More to learn.

How are you triggering the reverse camera- tapped into the reverse light circuit?

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you triggering the reverse camera- tapped into the reverse light circuit?
Yeah, I had Crutchfield make up the cables. It looks like part of it might have some diodes in it. My thinking is the radio sends a signal to activate the camera. The harness Crutchfield supplied is so ugly I'm tempted to redo it without putting pairs of wires into rca jacks then using a connecting rca jack to split them into two wires again about 8 times.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had Crutchfield make up the cables. It looks like part of it might have some diodes in it. My thinking is the radio sends a signal to activate the camera. The harness Crutchfield supplied is so ugly I'm tempted to redo it without putting pairs of wires into rca jacks then using a connecting rca jack to split them into two wires again about 8 times.
Ask Crutchfield about that issue since they made the cables for you. They’re pretty good with customer service, they can walk you through. For my mics on both trucks, I just clipped them on the top of the a pillar on the driver side. Don’t even notice them there and it’s easy to run the wire, just pull the a pillars.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to Crutchfield today. Reverse activates the backup camera with power somewhere. Using the view camera button doesn't apply power. The solution is to replace my camera with an aftermarket one. Not happy.

I routed the GPS antenna and microphone up the right A pillar to the rear view mirror. I'll stick the antenna to the windshield behind the mirror.

I thought I had things settled and closed up the dash. Then since I added a mic I tested my phone. I get a screen that says OnStar active and my choices are end and talk. Talk does nothing. I don't remember changing anything. AARGH.

I can text without touching anything. Need to get a text and have it read it to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout