Activate Adaptive Cruise Control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

900sub6.0

Reaction score
My 2019 has adaptive cruise control. I've followed the instructions on the manual but cannot seem to activate my ACC. The normal cruise control works fine. It seems to get real close to vehicle in front of me, closer than a vehicle length and the ACC still does not activate. I hit the brakes to avoid hitting vehicle if front.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
My 2019 has adaptive cruise control. I've followed the instructions on the manual but cannot seem to activate my ACC. The normal cruise control works fine. It seems to get real close to vehicle in front of me, closer than a vehicle length and the ACC still does not activate. I hit the brakes to avoid hitting vehicle if front.

I have read that the ACC is a douchbag. Might be normal.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you are still on the free onstar call them and have them check the system (remote diagnostic)

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score

DONT ‘fix it’!

ACC on this vehicle is the worst. It’s beyond nannyish. Even at the farthest setting it slows down WAY too far in advance and too aggressively and gets spooked by cars in the next lane during turns.

If you live in Nebraska or Texas where you can drive for hours and not see a car, maybe it’s great. Here in the Northeast it’s completely useless...I’m comparing it to two other cars Ive owned that have/had ACC ‘like’ features.

Sean James

Reaction score
I agree, ACC sucks. We have a fleet of 2016 and 2017 Volvo Class 8 trucks. And on the highway they are nothing but a pain in the rear. They slow the tractor-trailer down when approaching another vehicle, and you have no choice but to over-ride the system by pressing the accelerator pedal. They slow the vehicle WAY before you get close enough to set up your pass. So now you are "on the pedal" trying to maintain your speed, buzzers and lights start flashing while you are trying to watch your mirrors for upcoming traffic and find your "hole" to squeeze into the passing lane, and next thing you know you are going above the speed that the highway patrol will start writing. So then you have to fumble with the switch to kill the ACC, check your speedo, watch your distance from the vehicle in front of you, watch for his brake lights, check your mirrors again, flip on your turn signal, and start your pass. If you forget to kill the ACC and get too close the tractor-trailer in front of you, the system will automatically slam on the brakes, just as you are pulling into the passing lane and the radar and computer thinks you are still right behind the truck in front of you, then you get into the passing lane, but are going 10 mph slower than when you started your pass, and all the traffic coming up in the passing lane has to slam on their brakes, because you look like an idiot, and the truck that was going slower than you is now 150 ahead of you.

It's a stupid mess of a system, designed by engineers educated above their intelligence, sitting in a corner office of some high-rise building, trying to devise a system to prevent morons that are too busy texting and driving, from getting into rear end collisions. If your a driver that doesn't mind letting the cars or trucks in front of you dictate your driving, that's fine. If your the moron that can't put your phone away for a few minutes or hours while driving, I guess that's fine too. But when real drivers have places to go, we want full control of the vehicle at all times, not some computer controlling our speed, braking system, and reporting every little thing to a call center in Pakistan, or notifying me of a "hard braking event", I think I would be smart enough to know when I hit the brakes hard, and a very rare event for a good driver.

Set the cruise only when there is little to no traffic, always look WAY ahead of where your going, assume that a vehicle will pop out of every driveway and side street in your path. Check your mirrors and gauges every few seconds, and drive it like you stole it. Let the passengers admire the flowers on the side of the road, and dick around with their phones. These days I trust agressive drivers, they are usually on top of their game. It's the lolly-gagers holding up traffic, driving 5-10 mph under the speed limit that scare me, almost every one I pass is holding their phone in front of their face. I'm not dissing the OP at all, the vehicle came with ACC and I guess it should work properly, but we have disabled the ACC through the ecm in most of our trucks, and will never order another truck with it. It is also unsafe in snow or icy road conditions and can cause the truck to skid/slide without any driver input. I don't know if you can disable ACC in new passenger vehicles, but I would. This post is already proof that they are not fail safe, and having a system, controlled by wires, diodes, resistors, electricity, etc. and a system that controls the brakes, is just too scary for me. Keep the braking system simple and safe, and give me full control even if everything else in the vehicle fails. Know your vehicles limits, and keep a happy following distance, we all know when too close is too close.

Just my professional opinion after 37 years of accident-free, moving violation-free, and over 4 million miles behind the wheel of dozens of 80,000 lb. 53' tractor-trailer sleeper trucks. And oh! I smile when I see a new Camaro hauln-butt and cutting me off on the highway, I know his cruise control is in the off position. Thats when I say to myself "You go Dude"! :)

Pmcandrews

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Were you ever able to get your adaptive cruise to work. On my 2019 Denali Yukon XL, the first week I had I used it twice, since I have never gotten it to work. Dealer says must not have been an option, but clearly I have used and either have something faulty or perhaps a software push to car has rendered it off. Hoping you can shed some light on this for me as I am perplexed and feel dealer is misinformed on my two week old vehicle.
Thanks

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you ever able to get your adaptive cruise to work. On my 2019 Denali Yukon XL, the first week I had I used it twice, since I have never gotten it to work. Dealer says must not have been an option, but clearly I have used and either have something faulty or perhaps a software push to car has rendered it off. Hoping you can shed some light on this for me as I am perplexed and feel dealer is misinformed on my two week old vehicle.
Thanks

Your window sticker and RPO sheet will confirm whether or not you have that option. Lazy dealer could have found out in a second or two. I do not know the RPO code for that option but am sure someone here does. @Galante

Eiran Rodriguez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Tahoe Premier, when I press to activate the Cruise Control the Adaptive Cruise Control icon displays on the dash. When I try to set the speed I get a message on the dash "Adaptive Cruise Control Temporally Unavailable". The Cruise Control cancel button to the left doesn't turn this off neither does the break (not sure if that's a thing) only when I press the Cruise Control button to the right will it turn off. My issue is I want to change from the ACC to just regular Cruise Control but holding the cancel button will not switch it (what the manual said to do). I tried to be as descriptive as possible. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ACC had its place and not all vehicles act in the same manner with ACC, so other vehicle references may not apply here. I like it and use it almost everyone I am driving unless I’m in city traffic. Just like paying for that $4.00 latte, you can get use to it.