AC Troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Electric fans are a massive improvement in AC performance! I was just tuning mine to come on sooner now that it's hot as fuhq out. I hate losing refrigerant too but buying the $3.99 cans at Harbour freight makes it not as bad.

Having a 100* ambient in the garage makes it difficult to tell if its working too. I had my fans on, and the truck idling in the shop but it still blew warm because it was so hot combine with a lack of fresh airflow. Go for a drive and cool the system down if it's exhibiting signs of the condenser not working well enough.

R422b

Reaction score
dang they are 4$ at harbor freight! wow, I was paying 5 to 7 dollars per 8 oz can.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
If you get your refrigerant license you can get a 30 lb tank for about $4 a pound and then you can accurately charge it with a scale.

talking about Chevy's using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought my fan clutch was working properly, but electric improved ac performance at idle.
I haven’t done it, but if you wanted more, you could look into adding an electric pusher fan, even if it only covers part of the condenser it would help. Then you could keep your mechanical and the reliability of it, plus add additional cooling, which seems like a good thing off-roading in AZ

Wow that's a cool idea! Never thought of that. Would be a good idea to increase the size of my transmission cooler and put a pusher on there... might get some added benefit with my AC too :)

If you get your refrigerant license you can get a 30 lb tank for about $4 a pound and then you can accurately charge it with a scale.

That would be cool. Kind of annoyed they won't sell the stuff to non-licensed people. I see quotes all over the place that R134a tetrafluoroethane is bad for the ozone layer... It's illegal to vent into atmosphere. Yet the other day I turned over my dust off container. It literally had tetrafluoroethane, r134a in it haha

Some of the others have difluoroethane in them or propane/butane. Too bad those are flammable. Otherwise I'd just charge up with them :)

R422b

Reaction score
Wow that's a cool idea! Never thought of that. Would be a good idea to increase the size of my transmission cooler and put a pusher on there... might get some added benefit with my AC too :)

That would be cool. Kind of annoyed they won't sell the stuff to non-licensed people. I see quotes all over the place that R134a tetrafluoroethane is bad for the ozone layer... It's illegal to vent into atmosphere. Yet the other day I turned over my dust off container. It literally had tetrafluoroethane, r134a in it haha

Some of the others have difluoroethane in them or propane/butane. Too bad those are flammable. Otherwise I'd just charge up with them :)

The license is literally $25 and an open book test. You pretty much can't fail. I got mine through MACS https://macsmobileairclimate.org/
The free license manual is really good and I learned a few things from it.
r134a is not bad for the ozone but it is a "greenhouse gas" so you are legally not allowed to vent it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts