AC not working 2016 yukon 48k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well to be fair I didn't really trust the dealer to get me a square answer from the get go I believe they make more money off a customer paying out of pocket vs warranty work or my friend that works at the dodge places says he does, also most all things repaired at a dealer ship can be repaired at a locally owned shop cheaper most of the time, and to get back to this particular dealership just two weeks ago my gps antenna quit working I stopped by late one afternoon and asked if there was a way to reprogram it they bring it back in the morning and they would check.
drop it off next am they keep it few hours and call back and say antenna has failed and that it would need replaced to the tune of 475$ antenna and labor, I bought the antenna from a friend at body shop for 90 and took the 9!! yes 9 screws out that hold the center console visors and antenna on and replaced it myself in about 20 mine and could be done in 10 or less from now on, and to top it off now after having done one I can look at anyone else and determine the problem since my originals drain hole was in the back and the new one is in the front obviously they know of the problems!! btw they charged me 1/2 hour labor said they spent 3 testing it but cutting me a deal at 55$ plus tax

So you don't trust the dealer not because they actually have screwed you but because they make more money on customer pay work? That doesn't even make sense. Customer pay work does pay more but there's a reason for it. Cliff notes: There's less work involved and almost always less wait time for warranty work and 90% of warranty work requires no approval. Just diagnose the car, order the parts, and put them on. No spending time writing up an estimate, presenting it to the advisor and explaining to them a bunch of stuff that will never make it to the customer (remember the part where I said the advisor isn't the one actually working on the car?), the advisor getting enough time between other customers to call and present the estimate, the customer then to deliberate if they want to fix it or not, then finally order the parts and actually install them. Plus dealing with any problems that arise such as broken parts or extra cleaning involved that happens more often out of warranty (due to age and wear). Regardless, it is absolutely silly so say that a dealer does not want to fix your car just because it's under warranty. Like I said, that costs everyone involved money. If a tech looks at a car that's under warranty and doesn't find anything, they get paid nothing! Absolutely nothing. They get to pull the car in, test drive, maybe check for codes or service information, story out a ticket, and park the car back outside all for absolutely nothing. We get paid to FIX the car. When GM is footing the bill, why wouldn't we want to fix it? There's much more to it and I'm sure the consensus on here is that we should still work on it for free even outside of warranty but that's a debate for another time.

As far as your antenna example, I bet that if you would have taken that to most independent shops they would have either sent you away without even looking at it or it would have taken them much longer to diagnose the same thing because they don't have the same expertise of a dealership (this is not a bash to people an independent shops either, that's just the nature of t he beast when you don't specialize). That's why the dealership costs more, your not just paying for the work we do but what we know. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't really matter if the advisor embellished the story that they worked on it for three hours if they only charged you 1/2 hour diagnosis. They took care of you (the tech took care of you). That's great that you fixed it yourself for less. I have no issue with that. But people on these forums don't realize that the majority of people out there truly are not capable of doing work themselves and that's why they take their vehicles somewhere to have it done and there's also the time factor. Some people don't have the time to wait to track down a cheaper part online, wait a week for it to come in, then find the time to install it themselves, etc.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me, I'm not even sure why there is a hole there. If it's a good enough seal, there should be minimal moisture in there.

That said, I can see why the hole was put in the back. If it's in the front, when driving in the rain, you will force feed water into there. But, then again, it's in the position to get rain running right into it when parked. Sealant anyone?

Sealant is supposed to be used when the antenna is replaced.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you think anyone at a dealer makes any money by "playing dumb to try to get out of paying?" GM is paying when it comes to warranty work and dealers aren't owned by GM so why would they turn away work? No one gets paid anything for saying there's nothing wrong with your vehicle. Warranty work is great because it's a guaranteed repair with no waiting around for an approval 90% of the time.
Whatever you say pal.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^X2

Why are they always reluctant to do warranty work, at least, so it seems? If the above were true, you'd see the service advisor out in front of the dealer, waving a banner that's says "open bay now" just like at the quick lube places.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't answer that question without being there and knowing the whole situation but I don't see how it's possible. Turning you away and hoping you come back outside of warranty and pay would put any dealer out of business. I don't know out exact number(s) but at least half of our work is warranty work, I really think it's more than that but either way it's a huge part of the money we make. I can tell you no one where I work would be willing to cut their pay in half to "get out of warranty work." We want to do everything possible to fix the car and get paid. That's what keeps people coming back to spend their money later. That's why we have loaner cars, rental cars, provide Lyft rides, and shuttle rides. If the car leaves, it generally doesn't come back (even if it's under warranty, they'll just take it somewhere else).

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't answer that question without being there and knowing the whole situation but I don't see how it's possible. Turning you away and hoping you come back outside of warranty and pay would put any dealer out of business. I don't know out exact number(s) but at least half of our work is warranty work, I really think it's more than that but either way it's a huge part of the money we make. I can tell you no one where I work would be willing to cut their pay in half to "get out of warranty work." We want to do everything possible to fix the car and get paid. That's what keeps people coming back to spend their money later. That's why we have loaner cars, rental cars, provide Lyft rides, and shuttle rides. If the car leaves, it generally doesn't come back (even if it's under warranty, they'll just take it somewhere else).
This forum exist largely due to incompetence of dealers or the crazy rates they charge. I get that the techs are specilialzed and supposedly well trained, but I've had nothing but bad luck with dealers. Most of us have experienced the dealer not wanting to warranty a repair so there has to be more to it. The techs usually end of breaking something on my cars so I try to steer clear of dealers.

If im paying the ridiculous dealer rates i expect to not be concerned with the repair. All seem bent in doing a job as fast as possible with no precision. The only ones I have good luck with don't seem to last.

You're gonna go blind on here trying to defend your industry..God knows I've had my share of fun with dealers..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you can recommend a AWESOME Chevrolet-GMC Dealership in the Miami-Dade,Broward or in even in Palm Beach County please let me know. Been dealing with Shumacher Chevrolet in North Palm Beach [where I bought my Tahoe brand new] and they can not even change the oil properly. Ed Morse in Sunrise has been recommended to me so might try them next. I will not get my hopes up just yet.

thepaulsensbc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Back to the original question... my 2015 XL SLT is having similar issues - blowing cold air in back but hot up front. Verified compressor is working, clutch is engaging and freon levels are correct, so no apparent leaks. Could it be the blend door actuator?? Would anyone know where I can find that to possibly check it out? I've searched up and down looking for it, which usually means it's in plain sight!! TIA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins