AC Delco or Powerstop shoes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to replace my rear brakes and hardware. Not very long ago I the mistake of buying cheap junk from Pep Boys that I should have returned as I had some issues getting them to fit on the passenger side (Side I'm having problems with) and in. I already broke a pin on that side that messed up my freshly resurfaced drums. Also, the hardware kit from Autozone was junk/poorly made, so I'm going to replace everything, including the adjuster hardware this time all AC Delco, to rule out any issues and in the hope my adjusters start working again.

AC Delco Professional rear shoes are almost twice the price of Powerstop on RockAuto, but with the extra shipping cost for Powerstop there's about $7 difference.

I know most people go for Delco on these trucks but many people say good things about Powerstop. I'm ready to order all Delco from Rockauto, $73 for everything w shipping, but thought I'd ask you chaps.

Any experience / opinions?

Thanks.

Last edited:

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t had any issues with my pads and rotors on my Taurus from Powerstop. No experience on the Tahoe though

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to get an order in asap so just went with AC Delco

Screen shot 2019-02-21 at 1.04.08 PM.png

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanted to get an order in asap so just went with AC Delco

View attachment 217072
Can't go wrong with AC Delco, honestly, so you made the right decision. Power Stop is pretty decent, too, but OEM is never a bad choice. For future reference, Wagner also makes a good brake pad/shoe.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got powerstop all around on my 97. shoes in back and the hd drilled and slotted up front.
I like the look of those too.

Couple pumps of my brake pedal and my brakes are like new ;)

I'd love some new stainless lines and nice shiny new calipers and rotors up front, but I don't have unlimited budget, and am trying to stick to what's absolutely necessary -ish.

Dug out a couple pics of my last rear brake job before and after, just because

chevyrearbrakesoriginal.jpg

chevyrearbrakesreplaced.jpg

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the big reason i did mine was the brake condition when i bought the truck. its been a while i cant remember which caliper was hanging up and it already had a warped rotor. when i did my initial inspection both fronts hardware had seen better days. so i opted for the premium kit with the powder coated calipers and it already needed rotors.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the big reason i did mine was the brake condition when i bought the truck. its been a while i cant remember which caliper was hanging up and it already had a warped rotor. when i did my initial inspection both fronts hardware had seen better days. so i opted for the premium kit with the powder coated calipers and it already needed rotors.
If I needed new ones I would put them in for sure. My calipers are tired, but they work ok, rotors are original and still in decent shape.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya if my hardware was still working i dont upgrade. i upgrade things when they start failing. i actually lucked out a bit as i ordered the standard premium kit with calipers and they sent me the hd kit. probably just smoke and mirrors or pads that are slightly thicker or something stupid but i got something extra i didnt pay for.