1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AC Control Panel fries out with puff of smoke

Discussion in 'Interior' started by wahoo_wes, Sep 16, 2011.

1. bux

bux TYF Newbie

Name:
    dennis
    Same Issue

WOW, I got on line for the very same issue. I also went through more than one control panel thinking it was no big deal. Now after two, and returning home due to the smell of electronic smoke, I thought I would check this out. Very glad I did. I will look for the same wire and see what I find. I also ordered a new switch hoping I do not need a nel panel AGAIN.

2. wahoo_wes

wahoo_wes TYF Newbie

Name:
    Wes
    yeah well make sure you read this entire thread! LOL, i went through MANY panels, and other parts, before i found that green wire was shorting out somewhere deep in the dash, anyway, its an easy fix. Good Luck!

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

remember to use butt connectors

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

test

3. My99Yukon

My99Yukon Full Access Member

Name:
    Jon
    Old thread but this seems to be a common issue. And it just happened to me a second time this weekend. Before I replace this unit which is only about one year old, give me some insight please into how you ran that wire between the PCM and the heater control module please.

My question is really about how you pulled the wire through and is the wiring harness super tight on the green wire? Can you cut on both ends, splice a wire at the PCM and simply pull the old wire at the control module through the dash until the new splice appears then re-splice at the wire ribbon? Sort of like fishing a heavy gauge wire through a hole by attaching to a coat hanger and thinner wire and pulling through when framing a house?

A few details would be great.

Also, can you repost the diagrams that SunlitComet posted for you? Those images are no longer available. Thanks!

4. Fless

Fless Full Access Member

Name:
    Steve
    Wahoo_wes hasn't been seen since 2011. Think he ghosted.

5. My99Yukon

My99Yukon Full Access Member

Name:
    Jon
    Yeah I saw the date of the thread but tagged SunlitComet so thought I could revive the thread since this seems to be a common issue.

I found a diagram for the PCM/VCM and I am not sure if he was talking about this in his thread. It seems like a hell of a chore to run a wire through that harness, if that is even the issue for my rig.