AC COMPRESSOR PROBLEM??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02esky0FKSGVN

Reaction score
I keep snapping belts and replacing but the tensioner keeps wobbling like this ... I’m out of thoughts can anyone help please and also when revved it makes a loud jackhammer like noises ... it’s an 02 escalade awd 6.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search Google for "compressor slugging". I know it's not what you want to hear but you need a new AC compressor. I had the SAME EXACT issue as you. I broke at least 4-5 tensioners and belts. AC actually seems to work fine at idle, but anything above 1800-2000 rpms then the compressor locks up and the belt starts violently flailing around, which is what causes that jackhammer sound you hear. I had to finally come to terms and buy a new compressor. I went with a brand new AC Delco compressor from Rockauto.

OP
OP
02esky0FKSGVN

02esky0FKSGVN

Reaction score
Alright ... yea u was stalking from picking it up from autozone I got them to price math from rockauto save a lot by doing that... well looks like that’s what I’m doing today oh well thanks you guys .....

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy shit! Mine didn't even look that bad. Also, get rid of that cheap plastic tensioner. Get one with a metal pulley. I know the AC Delco one has a metal pulley, and I believe Dayco does as well since they make the Delco tensioner.

OP
OP
02esky0FKSGVN

02esky0FKSGVN

Reaction score
Alright will do the previous one disappeared on me so put that one in yesterday but look what I found lol 4b6b5405f45495cdaa9e0e51f4736c6a.jpg

OP
OP
02esky0FKSGVN

02esky0FKSGVN

Reaction score
The new compressor I got only had 1 plug and the old one has 2 ... damn it did they order the wrong one!!

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are several different compressors depending on what AC system you have. Our SUVs have at least three different compressors I believe, maybe even more than that. But I know for a fact that there's at least three.
One is only if you have front air and no rear AC.
Second is if you have the rear AC and manual AC controls.
Third is if you have the rear AC AND you have the automatic climate control. (You set the temperature to certain degrees)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN