Ac clutch stuck on (15 tahoe)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cprince912

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So i noticed the air coming out of my vents was really cold and set to 72deg with the ac button off. So i popped the hood and noticed my compressor was spinning, so i shut of the engine pulled the fuse and tried again. This time is stopped spinning and the air warmed up. I put the fuse back in, (compressor stayed off) i then pressed the ac button and the clutch engaged as it should, hit the button again and it shut off. So now its working again, but im thinking one of the switches somewhere is going bad. Anyone know what to is going bad or what needs to be replaced?
Thanks
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you on defrost setting?
Windshield/feet setting will run the a/c.

OP
OP
C

Cprince912

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you on defrost setting?
Windshield/feet setting will run the a/c.

Yes, In the colder months I always use the windshield/feet option, but i have an ac button and it doesnt come on until i hit that normally.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, In the colder months I always use the windshield/feet option, but i have an ac button and it doesnt come on until i hit that normally.

Nope.
Secretly, the a/c compressor runs in that mode without you even putting in the "a/c" mode. Trust me. It's been done that way since the early 2000's, IIRC.

The two stories that I have heard are:
1) it helps remove the moisture (true but why only in that mode and not in the windshield only mode?)
2) the manufacturers started experiencing too many warranty claims on their a/c compressors. Nobody used them until the summer, if even then (depending upon where you live). The compressors would seize without being lubricated every now and then. So, they started engaging the compressors in the windshield/ feet mode to keep them working. This being the most commonly used mode.

OP
OP
C

Cprince912

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nope.
Secretly, the a/c compressor runs in that mode without you even putting in the "a/c" mode. Trust me. It's been done that way since the early 2000's, IIRC.

The two stories that I have heard are:
1) it helps remove the moisture (true but why only in that mode and not in the windshield only mode?)
2) the manufacturers started experiencing too many warranty claims on their a/c compressors. Nobody used them until the summer, if even then (depending upon where you live). The compressors would seize without being lubricated every now and then. So, they started engaging the compressors in the windshield/ feet mode to keep them working. This being the most commonly used mode.

Interesting. So how do i turn it off then. I want warm air and even when its set at 72deg its freezing. Then 74 is too hot. Seems like there is no warm.

Would auto start have anything to do with it?

juniorwatson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting. So how do i turn it off then. I want warm air and even when its set at 72deg its freezing. Then 74 is too hot. Seems like there is no warm.

Would auto start have anything to do with it?

You'd have to put in a switch to the voltage conductor that goes to the compressor to turn itoff.

GM has done this for DECADES.
1. Cold dry air, or HOT ambient air are the best at removing condensation from the windshield.
2. Also, the GM guys thought correctly that folks who live in colder climates wouldn't use the A/C often outside of the few summer months, so they made the compressor come on defrost mode to give the compressor some exercise, so the seals wouldn't dry out.

I've thought about doing what you've asked about, but never did it. I just said the heck with it. It's not going to make much of a difference for gas consumption, so I just let it go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie