AC Blower Motor Resistor has blown again...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So about 3 months ago I replaced my blower motor resistor that controls the front fan because my original resistor stopped working. I replaced the original part with an ACDELCO 1581638 part which is said to be an OE part. Anyhoot, that one has now blown as well.

My question is, before I go replacing it again what could be going on (other than a faulty part) that would cause my resistors to keep going badly especially with this one going bad so quickly? I want to make sure that I double check anything I can while I replace this again so that hopefully this doesn't happen again for a while :) Just wondering if there might be a root cause for this aside from just throwing parts at it and praying lol

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possibly just a crappy unit. I wouldn't search for something causing it unless you put at least 10 of them in...

:word:

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possibly just a crappy unit. I wouldn't search for something causing it unless you put at least 10 of them in...

:word:
well, I'll start keeping notches to keep track. LOL Just strikes me as odd since I'd consider AC Delco to have a pretty strong rep for these types of replacement parts.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, I'll start keeping notches to keep track. LOL Just strikes me as odd since I'd consider AC Delco to have a pretty strong rep for these types of replacement parts.

Honestly I would try this last one. Maybe the original part finally failed, and then your replacement part was bad, but if it happens again, then there's something definitely up

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im def thinking its the new resistor, orig one was done and prob just got a bad new one. I guess if you really wanted to pull the blower motor and make sure nothing in it or making it drag but that's highly doubtful

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly I would try this last one. Maybe the original part finally failed, and then your replacement part was bad, but if it happens again, then there's something definitely up
Sounds good. New resistor ordered and I'll give it one more whirl. If it does within 3 months or less again we're having a burb bonfire :crazy:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Usually burning out resistors in succession like that points to the blower itself going bad and drawing too much juice. Just dealt with this in the mustang. 3 resistors in a month. New blower, been perfect since March.

calif phil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. I would replace the blower motor or at least try to find how many amps it is pulling. Another cause can be burnt pins in the connector causing high resistance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos