ABS Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, so my 2005 Tahoe's ABS light has been on for a while with 4 codes.

C0222, C0226, C0268, C0291

The ABS light is off till I start driving, and the light comes on instantly. It used to sometimes not come on, but now it comes on all the time. Cleaned the grounds that could cause these problems to no avail.

2 are for the front wheel speed sensors - I'm going to inspect them and clean them up, and if that doesn't fix that then I'll replace on them.

But the C0268 and C0291 could this be a possible EBCM problem of sorts? I know the solder points inside them are known to go bad over time.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Since I doubt that both wheel speed sensors went bad at the same time and the solder points are known for these types of problems: Check all wiring at the sensors for giggles and unplug them and plug back in to help clean connections. Then unplug and check those solder points and look thru the existing threads here for the related repairs for that. Repair as needed and clear codes and drive to see if any codes come back and address as needed. Others here will chime in. I have an 05 Z71 and thankfully had not experienced this problem as of yet but I also do not live where salt is on the roads.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I doubt that both wheel speed sensors went bad at the same time and the solder points are known for these types of problems: Check all wiring at the sensors for giggles and unplug them and plug back in to help clean connections. Then unplug and check those solder points and look thru the existing threads here for the related repairs for that. Repair as needed and clear codes and drive to see if any codes come back and address as needed. Others here will chime in. I have an 05 Z71 and thankfully had not experienced this problem as of yet but I also do not live where salt is on the roads.
I agree, I doubt they'd both just coincidentally go at once. My hunch is the EBCM for sure, so I'll probably end up repairing the solders myself or just buying a remanufactured one. I'll definitely still check the wiring at the sensors and will unplug and plug them back in. Thanks!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Also, there are two different modules, depending on if you have Active Brake Control or not. If you have a spout out the front of the master cylinder, you have it. That would make a difference if you got a reman unit. Plus, they are hard to find. Again, check the existing threads for more info.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, there are two different modules, depending on if you have Active Brake Control or not. If you have a spout out the front of the master cylinder, you have it. That would make a difference if you got a reman unit. Plus, they are hard to find. Again, check the existing threads for more info.
Yeah I'll check on that, I don't believe it has Active Brake Control as I don't remember seeing a spout, I'll also check my RPO codes for JL4, which indicates it has it aswell.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will also try running the ABS motor with a scan tool as well, to see if there's any problems with that.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yeah I'll check on that, I don't believe it has Active Brake Control as I don't remember seeing a spout, I'll also check my RPO codes for JL4, which indicates it has it aswell.
Yea, I should have thought of the RPO code, I reference it in my signature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98