ABS engaging when it should not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1yesfan

Reaction score
Hello all.

My 01 Silverado is developing an issue of when I come to a stop the ABS engages when it has no reason to be doing so. Do I have a dirty sensor on one of the front wheels? I am not getting an ABS warning light coming on at all at this point.
For now how can I shut off that system? Fuse? Disconnect one of the sensors?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
disconnecting the sensor works for the older models im not sure past 99. however whats most likely going on is one of your sensors is reading intermittently on the pulse ring. so the one thats working correctly is causing the wheel that reading intermittently to think its slipping and engages the abs system. if its only a minor hiccup you could actually have a code in your abs module but its not triggering the abs light. on some systems the fault needs to be triggered a certain number of times in a small time window to cause the light to be triggered. my 97 did the same thing when i installed new timkens wheel bearings. a tech 2 would have probably seen the code but i used a snapon scanner to see the code. the wheel sensor was quickly remedied through timken customer service btw it was just a fluke. but anyway yes unplugging the sensor should trigger a major abs fault and the abs should stop working until the problem is corrected and the fault is cleared.

OP
OP

1yesfan

Reaction score
Is there a fuse that I can just remove to shut it off?

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a fuse that I can just remove to shut it off?
yes there is. I had the same issue with my 01 Suburban. had wheel sensors tested and were good. turned out to be abs module, which I bought replacement module and pump but the screws holding in module on mine were too rusty,stripped and too tough to get out. I would have changed the pump and module together but I didn't want to deal with the pains it takes to bleed brakes on these with needing computer hooked up to open valves to enable bleeding. in the end I just pulled abs fuse and the truck lived the rest of its without abs. if needed I still have the replacement pump and module I bought for $50 which I will sell for the same. also there is a YT video how to repair the module, it is a broken solder trace that goes bad apparently. check ground first, good luck

brad1023e

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a known issue with these trucks as they rust. The magnetic pickup that detects wheel speed bolts to the wheel bearing hub assembly. When the hub rusts, it actually “grows” under the mounting surface of the sensor, pushing it farther away from the sensor ring and it can no longer detect your speed when driving slow.

Recently had this problem with an 05 silverado, abs came on when rolling to a stop below 5mph. Cheapest solution is to remove wheel speed sensors and clean the rust out. Sensors are fragile and will likely break when trying to remove them. I just bought new moog wheel bearings that included the new abs sensor, problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idriveaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been burned by the abs about 12 years ago. Hit a small patch of black ice coming to a stop light. Hit the passenger front tire. Abs forced me out of the brake and I hit another Silverado in front of me. Luckily he had a ball hitch and stopped me from damaging him. I didn’t realize till after I got to work that my bumper got bent. I had a plate on the front that took the hit but behind that was the bumper damage that I didn’t see. Luckily for me guy was ok no damage done and let me on my way.

The. A few years back I was trying to stop and almost same situation just the right side lost traction and I was running a stop sign. I’m used to non abs vehicles so I took the fuse out. Lived with the abs and brake light on. I prefer without with these years of trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekahgentry

Latest posts