ABS controller needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1997 Tahoe 2 door with 5.7L.
Getting a ABS light on my dash and my mechanic says its the ABS control module gone bad.
Per the local Chevy dealer my VIN needs GM part 12389541 but its NLA.
Cant seem to locate anything at the local VIP/ORiellys ; any suggestions where I might be able to get a ABS controller short of a junkyard.
Thanks in advance.
Tbruz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
1997 Tahoe 2 door with 5.7L.
Getting a ABS light on my dash and my mechanic says its the ABS control module gone bad.
Per the local Chevy dealer my VIN needs GM part 12389541 but its NLA.
Cant seem to locate anything at the local VIP/ORiellys ; any suggestions where I might be able to get a ABS controller short of a junkyard.
Thanks in advance.
Tbruz
Is it rebuildable?

OP
OP
T

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have not been able to locate one that rebuilds 1997 ABS. Found a couple that rebuild GM 1999 to present.
Tbruz

OP
OP
T

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that lead Doubeleive, I may have to get a JY one if I cant locate a rebuilder.
Tbruz

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might contact some of those online rebuilders, I would think that they would be able to work on any of the Kelsey Hayes units.

Can you do without the truck in the meantime? If not, I’d pick up one from a salvage yard and swap it out. Just grab the whole thing instead of asking it to be separated. That would be the control module on top, the modulating valve beneath and the combination valve that the brake lines connect to.

a4028fe6b7425b18277b5a9bce19767b.jpg

Afterwards, have a shop use a scanner to run the automated ABS bleed sequence to get the air out of it. Follow that with a bleed at all four corners.

Car-part.com is a good search engine for local yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a unit coming to me from a Southern JY in the next day or so. I have already popped off the ABS module on my ride so it will be an easy swap once it arrives.
There are probably 25 companies that rebuild the 99 onward Kelsey Hayes 325 units but no one rebuilds the 94-98 chevy with Kelsey Hayes 310 ABS units.
Our only option is a JY unit that is in unknown condition, unless East302 wants to send me that ABS module in his picture .....IF its a know good one that is.
Thanks
Tbruz

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s good information to have, I didn’t know that the earlier units were not being rebuilt.

That’s an old picture, but it was a junkyard unit that I gave $75 for. Hopefully the one on the way works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk