About to order a 2022. Need advice from folks up north

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Todd Nine

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m down to a 2022 AT4 with the 6.2L or a Denali with the 3.0 Turbo Diesel. Both will have the Air suspension. I like the body style of the AT4, but I think the diesel with adaptive cruise will be more practical for my family. It will primarily be the road trip vehicle and occasionally I’ll be towing a small camping trailer or a side-by-side.

My only hesitancy with purchasing a diesel is operating it in the winner up north. I live a bit north of Bozeman Montana and I’m curious if anyone else up here has the 3.0 L diesel and has had any issues with it in the cold.

When I’m at home it’s not an issue because my garage is heated to 50°F. However when I’m camping or traveling I may not be able to plug it in. Does anyone own one up north? If so, what’s been your experience with it in the cold if you can’t plug it in?

Wileybird03

Reaction score
You only have to worry if it gets 20-30 below zero and even then just throw some #1 diesel in and your good to go. I’ve owned many diesel pickups and these common rail fuel pickups will crank up unlike the older heui injectors or older trucks. If it gets 20 below I doubt your gonna be camping though! You don’t really need to plug them in if you don’t want but it sure does make life easier on the motor and they already warm when you start it! Where did you purchase your ride at? Billion in Bozeman?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't get anywhere near the mileage that other people are posting on here in cold to extreme cold. Diesels will certainly work in these temps, but they aren't the happiest. Unless you drive 25 ish continuous miles a day to let it get fully warmed up, I'd be a little leery....

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m down to a 2022 AT4 with the 6.2L or a Denali with the 3.0 Turbo Diesel. Both will have the Air suspension. I like the body style of the AT4, but I think the diesel with adaptive cruise will be more practical for my family. It will primarily be the road trip vehicle and occasionally I’ll be towing a small camping trailer or a side-by-side.

My only hesitancy with purchasing a diesel is operating it in the winner up north. I live a bit north of Bozeman Montana and I’m curious if anyone else up here has the 3.0 L diesel and has had any issues with it in the cold.

When I’m at home it’s not an issue because my garage is heated to 50°F. However when I’m camping or traveling I may not be able to plug it in. Does anyone own one up north? If so, what’s been your experience with it in the cold if you can’t plug it in?
It's maybe important to mention that modern diesels have heaters built into various points in the fuel system, such as the filter, to keep the fuel flowing in cold weather. I bought a new 2014 BMW diesel when I lived in Colorado and used it extensively for ski trips to Montana (Big Sky), Wyoming (Jackson Hole) and the Colorado mountains. I sometimes saw temps in the mornings of -25ºF or less and never had a problem with getting it started. The computer would delay the start for an extra 2-3 seconds when really cold to give the heaters and glow plugs a chance to get going, but that was all. I never used any additives.

Last edited:

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Fargo ND, we get about 2 weeks a winter with sub 30F below, I fish Lake Winnipeg quite a bit were we hit a lot of minus 30F and minus 40F days. (all ambient temps, not windchills).
I've been running ecoDiesels since 2015, they have all started. Buddy has had a couple of the DMax 3.0's and they have been starting the same. Wife's DMax just arrived this summer so I don't have anything to report.

I don't believe starting will be your issue, greater issue will be to make sure you have the appropriate winter fuel in the tank. IE, don't have a full tank of straight #2 sitting in your heated garage when it gets to sub 20 outside. If you pull that truck out of the garage and leave it sit overnight, it'll start in the morning but it'll gel up and only idle.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you live/have your vehicle and get fuel in a cold area, you'll never get straight #2. All fuel is seasonally and regionally blended for expected local temps...
A little power service never hurts when its below zero, I do as I don't want a hint of any problems, but not 100% mandatory...

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending where you buy you can get #2 all year long, the truck stops here in Fargo for example have it all year.
Stay away from the additives, some contain alcohol which can cause issues with certain components.

Play it safe and get the blended fuel and you will be find.

Anh L

Reaction score
I live in Calgary, Canada where in winter the temperatures often go down to -20oF -40oF . I have Mercedes ML350 2014 diesel and don't have any problem with winter driving / starting for all 7 years.
I love diesel engine, it's mileage and I just have placed an factory order for Yukon Denali Duramax.

Last edited:

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
know several guys with diesels here in michigan, and cant say i have heard of them having issues. they may start a little harder when it is good and cold, otherwise they will crank off fine, most give them a little extra warm up time if good and cold tho just because.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts