About that funny shaped intake tube - there's a reason - Performance!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the intake design is a lie ask any corvette owner

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think designs can lie.

Maybe the explanation for, or claimed benefits of, said design could be a lie, but designs themselves do not lie.
if it did they would have designed it similar but the corvette is for performance that does not improve performance or any benefit.. it's designed to discourage from being worked on

Reaction score
The stock unit does not hinder flow - that is the point - in the video a few posts back it shows the stock unit actually made more peak horsepower than the MIT. MIT's are prettier and make more noise but any performance gain over stock would be negligible. The following video offers a truly Honest and unbiased opinion

I was being a bit sarcastic! I run the stock air tube with an AEM Dryflow filter in the box.

I had an AirRaid MIT with one of their filters and didn't care for it. It seemed to make my throttle response a bit sluggish, and as far as the extra noise, I like the quietness of my Denali, as does the wife especially when on long road trips.

It did clean up/unclutter the engine bay and make it easier to do other maintenance in there, but that was the only thing I liked about it.

Now when I switched to a larger diameter, shorter and more direct intake tube on my Vorteq supercharged Mustang, it created about 2psi more of boost. That car is loud but isn't my daily or family trip vehicle.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the big design differences between the stock air cleaner with a resonator setup and attempting to get maximum performance are wrapped into a couple typical walls. race cars of any kind are designed to be run hard and heavy in the mid to high rpm range. alot of racecars dont run anything besides a scoop. 500 laps 10 passes 1 time attack 1-5 hill clumbs. that engine only needs to last that long at high rpms. id prefer my engines to last so nhra talk is irrelevant. next you got the majority of buyers dont want to mess with thier truck want the best bang for the buck and they want it quiet. the 5-10% of us who want more power and or sound dont matter to the manufacturers. so vehicles get designed with an intake setup that muffles the engine as much as it can with as little impact on performance as they can while keeping the sound down. so everything gets designed around that.
also ive seen 2 stock intake setups fails. but age and mileage will wear on anything it doesn't matter how well its designed.

Peacock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so nhra talk is irrelevant. .

I know I'm relatively new to THIS group but I would've sworn I clicked on a header that said "PERFORMANCE" not "how quiet can you make your tahoe/yukon" the original poster's main focus was the stock tube does not hamper performance, NHRA is performance, so it is totally relevant....and they still don't use them

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I'm relatively new to THIS group but I would've sworn I clicked on a header that said "PERFORMANCE" not "how quiet can you make your tahoe/yukon" the original poster's main focus was the stock tube does not hamper performance, NHRA is performance, so it is totally relevant....and they still don't use them
there's a difference between the level of performance and area of performance between something the needs to be able to drive on the street and an engine that's literally ripping itself apart for the level of performance on NHRA events. they generally dont run much more than open headers because running around with open headers puttering around side streets would actually burn the engine out faster. they also dont care about sound or sucking in dust and such because the engine only needs to last that long. i like some extra sound out of my vehicles but im positive everyone on here likes thier vehicle to last be able to run around town with extra addons such as vacuum boosters just to help the engine run. because without proper filtration proper exhaust flow and pretty much everything nhra cars dont care a bit about your not going to get far. there is a line you cross when your looking at being able to drive around like a regular person and driving a pure racing vehicle. NHRA vehicles are on the opposite side of the line than those who are looking for more power but still want to drive them regularly. i don't think anyone wants to rebuild thier engine every week once you crossed that line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14