A/V System Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned in the RAP module thread I'm doing a bunch of interior upgrades to the Tahoe. It was time to start this thread to document the build process as it progresses. What I am doing is this.
- Changing door speakers for 6.5" BA Pro 60's
- Changing D pillar speakers for 3.5" Infinity Reference
- Replacing stock sub woofer (that is no sub woofer) with a JL Stealthbox
- Installing sound deadening mat over the whole floor and rear wheel wells
- Adding 2 JL HD600 amps for new speakers and sub woofer
- Installing RF 3Sixty.2 DSP for integration with stock Bose amp
- Installing 2 Vizualogic 9" DVD headrests
- Lockpick gmx322 for use with the headrests and front nav screen display
- Peripheral Electronics Media Gateway for Ipod integration
- ****** 9500ci radar/laser detector system

The first think I wanted to do was to install the sound deadening mat. To do this it require of removing everthing from the interior.

Rear seats and mounting brackets. Basically, unplug electrical connectors and unbolt the seats and lift them out (they are heavy!)
100_4359_sm.jpg

Electrical connector for a rear seat. It just unplugs easily. There is one for each seat.
100_4363_sm.jpg

Electrical connector for driver's seat. Locking bracket lifts up and then the connector will disengage. It's the same type of connector for the passenger's seat. Undo the connectors, unbolt (2 nuts to remove) and unscrew (two bolts to remove) the seat then lift it out (same for passenger side. Make sure to raise the seats to their highest point first!
100_4364_sm.jpg

All seats removed.
100_4365_sm.jpg

Electrical connectors within the the storage console. To remove the console, follow the instructions that came with the StealthBox LINK
100_4366_sm.jpg

The StealthBox instructions did not cover the little speaker behind that little circular grill on the driver's side of the console. This is a picture of wires for it. You need to remove the mounting clips and then disconnect the connector. Only then can you remove the console.
100_4369_sm.jpg

A picture of the Bose lux amp and sub woofer.
100_4370_sm.jpg

The Bose lux amplifier.
100_4371_sm.jpg

A picture of the stock sub woofer. This is no subwoofer! A 5.5" speaker with an enclosure does not make a sub woofer!
100_4372_sm.jpg

Console removed.
100_4373_sm.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Dash support bracket that needs to be removed so one can remove the carpet.
100_4374_sm.jpg

In order to really get all the carpet out and access everything, most of the interior panels and trim pieces need to be removed. In the back the are all interlinked, so to get one out you need to remove them all. The trim pieces are held on with annoying friction clips.
100_4375_sm.jpg

Getting the sound mat down in the front. I decided to work around the carpet pad and wires rather than take all that out.
100_4376_sm.jpg

Sound mat down in the back.
100_4377_sm.jpg

Power line for the amps in the engine bay.
<pic to come>

The next thing was to install the front components for the 9500ci system (radar detection module and 2 laser modules) as I wanted to run all the lines need from the engine bay at the same time. The laser modules need a clear view looking forward. So this required a bit of trimming to the grill.
<pic to come>

Then to mount the 3 modules I had to fabricate custom mounting brackets.
<pic to come as this is what I am working on at the moment>

OP
OP
D

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got some work done this weekend, though not as much as I was hoping to. Most of Saturday was doing family related stuff.

I got the front mounting brackets made for the laser and radar modules. I'm not overly happy with how they turned out, but they work okay. I got the front modules mounted and the cables run into the interior. I got the rear laser sensor mounted and its cable run into the interior.

Brackets cut out.
100_4380_sm.jpg

Brackets after being formed, mounting hols drilled, and painted. I made a few more mounting holes than really necessary so I could choose the best ones to use once they were in there.
100_4394_sm.jpg

This is an example (left side) of the trimming to the lower part of the grill for the laser sensor. The trimming was the same for the right and in the middle.
100_4384_sm.jpg

Right front laser sensor mounted and cable in the loom.
100_4395_sm.jpg

Centre radar sensor mounted and its cable in loom.
100_4396_sm.jpg

Left laser sensor mounted and cables in wire loom.
100_4397_sm.jpg

Following the hood release cable for routing the sensor cables (in the wire loom).
100_4398_sm.jpg

I routed the cables under the secondary battery tray then continued along the hood release cable to the firewall.
100_4399_sm.jpg

I routed the cables and the amp power line through the main wiring grommet, then sealed it up with silicone.
<pic will come>

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

For mounting the rear laser sensor, first I had to remove the panels from the rear hatch. Fairly easy, one torx bolt and the rest holding the pieces on were snap clips. I took the license plate off, drilled a 17/32" hole, fed the cable through and pulled the grommet into place.

From the inside.
100_4386_sm.jpg

From the outside.
100_4390_sm.jpg

Routing the cable within the lift gate. I just followed the existing wire harness.
100_4387_sm.jpg

I couldn't fit the cable through the existing rubber enclosure as there was no room in it. So I had to run it on the outside.
100_4388_sm.jpg

I sealed the cuts with silcone and wrapped it in electrical tape. The silicone will dry clear.
100_4389_sm.jpg

The module mounted.
100_4391_sm.jpg

Now I working on mount the interior components of the laser/radar system. Then I have to mount my RAP module. Then it's time to run a whole bunch of cabling.

OP
OP
D

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got more work done during the week and over the weekend. The 9500ci is all installed and connected. Got the RAP module installed and connected, got the D pillar speakers changed (more on that later), got all the speaker wiring run, the wiring for the Bose amp to RF 3Sixty.2 run, got the carpet and panels in the cargo area reinstalled, and got three doors stripped down and sound mat installed in them.

Now for the pictures. :)

The fuse holder for the amp power line.
100_4403_sm.jpg

Running the amp power line (within the wiring loom) across the engine comparment.
100_4404_sm.jpg

Where I run the amp power and 9500ci front modules through the main wiring grommet in the engine compartment. The silicone will turn clear when dry.
100_4402_sm.jpg

Top dash panel near the front windshield popped up. I placed the GPS antenna for the 9500ci under here. To get into this panel you need to remove the A pillar panels. To get these off remove one bolt from the left side one, two bolt on the right side one (from the handle) and then they will pull off (with some convincing). With the A pillar panels off, you can pry up on seam on the top dash panels to remove the panel. Thanks to TAKevin for the info. :)
100_4400_sm.jpg

The GPS antenna mounted (looks like a computer mouse). The cable is run down through the dash. I used a long zip tie to feed down through the dash and then attached the antenna cable to the end of the tie and pulled the cable through.
100_4401_sm.jpg

Where I mounted the 9500ci control unit.
100_4412_sm.jpg

Where I mounted the 9500ci display unit.
100_4413_sm.jpg

Due to the size of the RAP power module (darn problem with prototypes), I had to mount in the right rear cargo area by the rear HVAC. Yes, that is velcro I used to secure it. It's industrial strength velcro and secured on three sides, so that module isn't going anywhere.
100_4405_sm.jpg

Running the DVD A/V cables from the head unit to the rear along the bottom edge behind the glove box.
100_4406_sm.jpg

DVD A/V cabels running along the right side wire track under the door sill trim.
100_4407_sm.jpg

DVD A/V cables popping out from under carpet pad. For future reference, use smaller cables and make it easier to run them to the back.
100_4408_sm.jpg

Power, RAP control, and ground lines from the RAP module running up to the left side junction box.
100_4409_sm.jpg

Attaching the three RAP lines into the junction box (X14 connector).
100_4411_sm.jpg

OP
OP
D

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The RAP lines for use with amp remote turn on, and power to 3Sixty.2 and video controller. Well, this is where the actual lines will connect to. I didn't want to hardwire right to them as then I wouldn't be able to easily remove the rear seats in the future if necessary. One of my design requirements on this project was to make everything fairly easy to remove if neccessary.
100_4414_sm.jpg

Right rear D pillar panel removed with the Bose speaker in it. To get this panel off, there is one bolt to remove, remove the trim piece along the top of the lift gate opening, and then pop the panel off.
100_4415_sm.jpg

Old Bose speakers, and new Infinity Reference 3.5" speakers. And this is a WTF, the speakers for the D pillar were listed as bing 3.5". Those are NOT 3.5" Bose speakers. They are 50mm or 2" speakers! Initially I thought that with both speakers being 3.5", mounting the new ones wouldn't be too bad. I was wrong.
100_4416_sm.jpg

Right rear D pillar with Bose speaker removed. Hmm... Going to need to do a little trimming and creative mounting here.
100_4417_sm.jpg

The new speaker mounted.
100_4418_sm.jpg

The left rear pillar was even more challenging as I couldn't fully remove it due to the rod for the power lift gate. This is with the Bose speaker removed.
100_4419_sm.jpg

After trimming the panel and mounting the new speaker. Please Note! When mounting speakers other than stock to mount then as close as possible to the corner bend in the panel, otherwise you'll run into problems with the speaker hitting the side curtain airbag module when you go to re-install the panel.
100_4420_sm.jpg

Speaker lines and Bose amp to 3Sixty.2 lines after being run. The green bits are tags/labels on each of the lines.
100_4421_sm.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Now we come to removing door panels. We have to remove the plastic manual door lock cover. Pop this little panel out and the cover slips off.
100_4422_sm.jpg

Pop this cover off behind the door panel and you'll find a bold that needs to be removed.
100_4423_sm.jpg

Pop this cover off behind the door arm rest to reveal two bolts that need to be removed.
100_4424_sm.jpg

Bolt that needs to be removed behind the door handle.
100_4425_sm.jpg

Bolts that need to be removed behind the cover on the arm rest.
100_4426_sm.jpg

Pop the sail panel off.
100_4427_sm.jpg

100_4428_sm.jpg

Pop the control panel on the door off. It's held on with two friction clips. Then disconnect the four connectors.

I need to take a couple more pictures here of how to pop the actual panel off tonight. Basically there is a series pop clips around the left, right, bottom edges of the door panels that you need to pop loose. With the door panel loose, you'll need to reach up into the panel to unstick this inner styrofoam like panel that is attached to actual door with a bead of a rubber like sealent as this inner panel comes away with the door panel. Then once the door panel (or panels) are free of the door, lift up on the panel to remove it from the lip along the top. Now you'll need to remove the cable for the door handle. You'll need a pair of needle nose pliars to do this. Once the cable is off you can remove the door panel and set it aside.

Stock Bose door speaker.
100_4429_sm.jpg

Stock speaker and new BA Pro60 speaker.
100_4430_sm.jpg

Door after everything is removed.
100_4431_sm.jpg

Door after sound mat is put on. Both on the inner and our part. But just on the bottom of the inner part! Otherwise it'll affect bringing the window down.
100_4432_sm.jpg

OP
OP
D

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The left rear door with the panel and speaker removed. The process for removing the rear door panels is the same as the front with the exception that there is only one bolt under the arm rest cover.
100_4433_sm.jpg

Left rear door with sound mat on.
100_4434_sm.jpg

Right rear door with sound mat on.
100_4435_sm.jpg

Tonight I'll do the passenger door and get some pics of the door handle cable and such. Then I have to run the speaker lines into the doors. Using a zip tie to feed through the rubber wiring case between the door and body will make this much easier. The I need to mount and wire the cross overs for the door speakers in the doors. This is going to be interesting. Then wire and mount the speakers, and close up the door panels. I'll see if I can figure an easy way to test the door speakers before putting the panels on.

iwaslowr

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Reaction score
DofD, Great write up! Thanks! :Handshake: Would you mind adding details of how to remove the panels from the lift gate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT