A DIFFERENT STUCK SPARE TIRE PROBLEM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am guessing that when a spare tire is stowed, it is stowed with the valve on top to keep road debris from it. The bracket at the end of the cable, that is fed thru the center of the wheel to attach the cable, would leave a mark where it grabs the wheel and that would mean having the bracket grip on the backside of the wheel instead of the front of the wheel that could show those marks.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am guessing that when a spare tire is stowed, it is stowed with the valve on top to keep road debris from it. The bracket at the end of the cable, that is fed thru the center of the wheel to attach the cable, would leave a mark where it grabs the wheel and that would mean having the bracket grip on the backside of the wheel instead of the front of the wheel that could show those marks.

Pretty sure my owner's manual says the spare should be stored with the valve stem down. Maybe that's so it will be easy to check the pressure from time to time, which not many people do.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I get it, I really do and what you say makes sense and even @Tonyrodz pics show it that way. I was just assuming, I need to stop that, that the OP tire was different because I would have thought he would have thought to let the air out of the tire asap.

Just to let you know, I have only one time in my whole life had to drop a spare down and I did not pay attention to how it was stowed. The tire shop put the spare back for me.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I have had some come from the factory valve stem up. Yeah, it makes checking pressure something between difficult and impossible depending on the wheel style and orientation.

I flip them the first chance I get.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i had one stuck up there on a customer's truck once. i was installing a class 3 reese hitch and needed to lower the spare to install the far bolt. was riveted in place and the winch was locked solid. customer gave us the go ahead to use a torch on it. if we couldn't get it down it wouldn't help him on the side of the road so having it permanently down was better for him anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rs401