A/C rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drakon543,
I have a brand new ACDelco condensor for the OBS style tahoe that I cannot use.
Will sell to you for $50 and you pay shipping costs from NH.
Thanks
Tbruz

Fourpillars

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep, u will need to replace the evap. While you are there might as well do the heater core too. Its at least a days job. Took me about a week working at it 2-3 hours every other day. It worth it. Don't forget the rear stuff too. Did mine two years ago and works like new.

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, u will need to replace the evap. While you are there might as well do the heater core too. Its at least a days job. Took me about a week working at it 2-3 hours every other day. It worth it. Don't forget the rear stuff too. Did mine two years ago and works like new.
mines front only so bonus its a bit cheaper to fix some of the hvac stuff

muncie21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the AC compressor went out in my '03 Suburban, I purged the system and replaced everything myself. Not too bad of a job if you take your time and make sure everything in the system is clean/flushed of debris. Doesn't take much to clog up the orifice tube, which will require you to evacuate the system and start all over. Get all new seals, after you purge the system, pull a vacuum and ensure it holds for a period of time before recharging. Since the system is completely empty now, ensure you are refilling with the proper amounts of oil and refrigerant...i.e. weigh them, don't count on the box measurements.

If the A/C lines have been disconnected and exposed to the environment, you'll need to spend more time flushing the system to ensure it's completely free of debris, dirt, etc.

I believe when it was all said/done, I spent around $400-500 on parts and supplies (refrigerant/oil) and took about 2-3 days (part of which was holding the system under vacuum to ensure there were no leaks) which was a pretty good deal, compared to the $1500 I was quoted.

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya as far as purging vacuum and recharge its out of my hands at that point. ill either have my neighbor handle it he has all the stuff to professionally do it. or it will go to the only shop in the area i trust.

lol the page says you creepin tbruz im gonna respond to your email today.

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the AC compressor went out in my '03 Suburban, I purged the system and replaced everything myself. Not too bad of a job if you take your time and make sure everything in the system is clean/flushed of debris. Doesn't take much to clog up the orifice tube, which will require you to evacuate the system and start all over. Get all new seals, after you purge the system, pull a vacuum and ensure it holds for a period of time before recharging. Since the system is completely empty now, ensure you are refilling with the proper amounts of oil and refrigerant...i.e. weigh them, don't count on the box measurements.

If the A/C lines have been disconnected and exposed to the environment, you'll need to spend more time flushing the system to ensure it's completely free of debris, dirt, etc.

I believe when it was all said/done, I spent around $400-500 on parts and supplies (refrigerant/oil) and took about 2-3 days (part of which was holding the system under vacuum to ensure there were no leaks) which was a pretty good deal, compared to the $1500 I was quoted.
nice work this is exactly what i'm getting into. my friend has a 1997 toyota land rover we are going to park em next to each other and do both at once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9