A/C manifold/ vacuum pump issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Intenseman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a manifold gauge set and vacuum pump purchased from harbor freight. I've had this set for more than a few years now. I was checking for leaks by pulling a vacuum on the system. It was pulling down -40 (which I believe is against the post) and when I shut the vacuum pump off the garage pops right back up to it's resting point at -25. It doesn't slowly go back like I would think it would do with a even a major leak. I'm thinking this is a tool malfunction.

I'll be honest, I don't know that this hasn't been the case for this equipment for years. I'd never checked for leaks this way before. I just discovered this procedure while reviewing a YouTube video before I charged the system. So something may have been wrong with my gear for a while.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Michael

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Equipment problem. Best vacuum I ever saw on an a/c gauge, was correct by the way, is 31" and I was below seal level. The elevation where you are will effect that reading but will still be good if say at 25" based on altitude. I would not want a manifold set and depend on it if I knew it was faulty.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can test for leaks on the manifold itself, no need to hook it up to a vehicle first. Lots of folks double check it this way first before testing for a leak on their vehicle, especially if the manifold hasn't been used in a while.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a manifold gauge set and vacuum pump purchased from harbor freight. I've had this set for more than a few years now. I was checking for leaks by pulling a vacuum on the system. It was pulling down -40 (which I believe is against the post) and when I shut the vacuum pump off the garage pops right back up to it's resting point at -25. It doesn't slowly go back like I would think it would do with a even a major leak. I'm thinking this is a tool malfunction.

I'll be honest, I don't know that this hasn't been the case for this equipment for years. I'd never checked for leaks this way before. I just discovered this procedure while reviewing a YouTube video before I charged the system. So something may have been wrong with my gear for a while.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Michael

are you closing the valves on the gauge set before turning off the vacuum pump?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter

Latest posts