A/C Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJ04HOE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed since the temps started to go up around here lately (90's-100) that my a/c isn't as cold as it was every other summer before now. So I went and bought a recharge kit and I figured that would be it, but no it's still just cool and not like it was before freezing cold.
I also checked to make sure the compressor is kicking on and it is....

Anyone have any ideas on what else could be the problem?
Thanks

tom q

Full Access Member
Reaction score
exact same problem I had last week. I bought a recharge kit with a gauge. Released the 134a......same thing, still not as cold as before. Gauge reads 50 psi on the low side. When I start the AC, I hear a growling sound from the dryer. It will get cold maybe after 10 mins of driving.

So I brought it to a shop. Low side reads 60 psi, which is too high. Normal range should be 30 - 40 psi. The shop vacuumed the freon out.......ALL 4 lbs OF IT!!!!! Again, it should normally be 2.7 lbs. In other words, I overcharged it !!!!

Freon was pumped back in and now my AC is as cold as ice.

OP
OP
NJ04HOE

NJ04HOE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
exact same problem I had last week. I bought a recharge kit with a gauge. Released the 134a......same thing, still not as cold as before. Gauge reads 50 psi on the low side. When I start the AC, I hear a growling sound from the dryer. It will get cold maybe after 10 mins of driving.

So I brought it to a shop. Low side reads 60 psi, which is too high. Normal range should be 30 - 40 psi. The shop vacuumed the freon out.......ALL 4 lbs OF IT!!!!! Again, it should normally be 2.7 lbs. In other words, I overcharged it !!!!

Freon was pumped back in and now my AC is as cold as ice.

I completely forgot I started this thread.....
That's exactly what happened to me, I took it to a shop and it was overcharged. Now it's fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094