A/C help please!!! (DONE, thank you!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Waddington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK...so I replaced the a/c compressor/ tension pulley, belt, accumulator dryer (all-in-all...an AMAZINGLY difficult job!) TRIED to replace the orifice tube...and I got the exact same one...got the old one out...but the new one would NOT go in...no matter what. And placing them side by side they are absolutely IDENTICAL. Even soaked the new one in PAG...without banging it in with a hammer, it ain't going in! So, after 1/2 hour...I just put the old one back it. It looked good.
But I'm reading the specs...and it says my system needs 11 oz of PAG oil. The new compressor from Denso only came with 1.4 oz. So how do I add another 9.6 oz to the system???
(side note...I tried to empty the old accumulator/dryer and compressor and NOTHING at all came out! Is that because I took it to the shop and had the system drained before starting the work?)
And everything I saw said I have to vacuum down my system before putting in new R-134a. I bought all the manifold gauges, vacuum pump. etc. HUGELY expensive...but still will be cheaper than having a shop do it!

BUT how do I add the PAG oil??? I am NOT...repeat NOT...removing that @%#**-ing compressor again!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@rockola1971 @RooTBeeRthe1st @91RS @gpracer1

You can pour the oil into the compressor before sealing it up or introduce it through the manifold if you have the right equipment. I "think" you could also pour the oil into the service port with the schrader valve removed and it will find its way to where it belongs. Better wait for the experts on that one.

I think we spent around $300 for the manifold, pump and sniffer and we've used it on several cars now, it's paid for itself twice over already and the stigma of the mysterious AC system has not befallen my children. They now know how to use all the gear.

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can dump the 9.4 oz into any line, the drier, compressor, etc. Spread it out. Pull a line off the condenser and pour 4 or 5oz in there then put 3oz in drier and then spread the PAG across the system. Thats odd on the orifice tube. I have seen where there is a 1st and 2nd design that look close to each other but are not the same. Usually they are sorted form each other by color of orficie tube housing color.

An evacuation will remove most of the old oil. Putting system under vacuum will remove a little but not much and it will boil any moisture out of the old oil too.

OP
OP
Steve Waddington

Steve Waddington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Done! Thanks for all the help guys! This was a tough and expensive job...but still only less than half of what a shop would have charged...and now I have the tools!! I now own the manifold gauges and vacuum pump, and all the fittings...and I finally bough a cordless 20V impact wrench! And a LONG 15mm boxed end ratchet wrench. And I have the peace of mind that I have a new Denso compressor, new tensioning pulley, new fan belt, new accumulator, all new o-rings, and fresh R-134 and PAG oil!
And its working great! Very cold in the front and back!
Only problem is...I spent so much fixing the a/c...I cant afford the 6.00 per gallon for gas to actually GO anywhere!

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need to add that much oil to the system unless you replace EVERYTHING. All you need to add is however much was removed with the refrigerant by the AC machine.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need to add that much oil to the system unless you replace EVERYTHING. All you need to add is however much was removed with the refrigerant by the AC machine.
The evacuation pump will remove most of the PAG oil since He replaced the drier and compressor. Only place really left is the low spots in the condenser for any PAG oil to hide in anyway so most of his oil was gone when he went to reassemble the system excluding oil trapped at the rear A/C but id rather have 4oz too much oil in the system than 3oz low, especially with a brand new compressor.

Last edited:

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The evacuation doesn’t remove most of the oil, it will only remove a little oil sometimes. There will still be oil in the evaporator cores and the lines which will be approximately half the capacity. Overfilled with oil is just as bad as underfilled.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The evacuation doesn’t remove most of the oil, it will only remove a little oil sometimes. There will still be oil in the evaporator cores and the lines which will be approximately half the capacity. Overfilled with oil is just as bad as underfilled.
That's odd.... Considering he (OP) followed my instructions and ended up with "And its working great! Very cold in the front and back!". His words, not mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods