A/C Doesn't blow cold anymore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
latvius

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front was blowing 88 rear was 78 with outside temp at 91. I've only had the tahoe 3 years so no idea about if the a/c had been serviced. I don't know of a way to check the level of refrigerant or oil.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The levels of both can be observed and tweaked with a proper AC manifold setup. IDK the name of it but 2 gauges with several hoses & connections on a brass manifold.

my bro has 1. I watched him add oil and refrig' to 1 of my cars with that thing, right there in the driveway.

It's not a tool that your average DIYer has laying around but you might try to get a used piece off eBay if you find that you will need it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
latvius

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I evacuated the system and replaced the drier/accumulator, orifice tube, and the proper amount of Freon with oil and leak dye. So far so good, blows cold but here in Tallahassee summer is at the end but I think it will be fine next year.

OP
OP
latvius

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK problem is back, put gauges on it and freon is low. Luckily I put dye in it when I worked on it last. Problem is could not find a leak.
The rear a/c used to blow cold but only warm air now so I figured I would take a look. Pulled everything out and low and behold I found my leak, predator blood everywhere.

When I would run the rear a/c I used to get a bad smell, I thought it was mold or something but that was freon smell.

So I replaced the evaporator and repaired my blend door as it had broken off. You can't buy a new blend door you have to buy the whole housing FYI. I epoxied the blend door broken piece back on to the door then bent a piece of sheet metal over it and epoxied that on with some bolts. One thing I learned it if you need to work on the housing it is easiest to pull the entire thing out.

While I have fixed the leaks and blend door I am currently trying to figure out how to get the actuators back on. They don't line up at all with the blend door nor the air direction door. I have not been able to turn them manually, seems they would break if I try any harder. Also I couldn't get it to take enough freon but it has not been that hot outside. I'll take another look this weekend.

Here is some pic in case they are useful to someone else.

20180526_140805.jpg 20180526_162542.jpg 20180526_162546.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can physically take the actuator apart and move the gears to get the pieces into position or power it up with a battery and some jumper wires until it moves into the position you want.

OP
OP
latvius

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it to take the rest of the freon as it got hot outside. I took the two actuators apart and found it was pretty easy to pull the gear out far enough to not longer be in contact with the other gear and then rotate it to the correct spot while I held it up to the blend doors, then pushed it together with the cover and screwed them back in.

I did a few fuse pulls to reset the system, I think it is good but the jury is still out until I have more seat time driving around in the heat.

Jetfumes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got it to take the rest of the freon as it got hot outside. I took the two actuators apart and found it was pretty easy to pull the gear out far enough to not longer be in contact with the other gear and then rotate it to the correct spot while I held it up to the blend doors, then pushed it together with the cover and screwed them back in.

I did a few fuse pulls to reset the system, I think it is good but the jury is still out until I have more seat time driving around in the heat.

So where in the rear was it leaking? couldn't tell from the pictures. also how do you know how to line it up are there marks? I'm thinking I have the same problem with my Yukon and not sure how to test the actuators.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts