A/C Compressor started squeaking...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cobbcfi

Reaction score
I tried searching the forums but "no results found" for "A/C" and "AC" yet the was a thread right there that started with A/C!!

So my compressor has a chirp/squeak and I can make it go away when I shut it off. It most certainly does NOT sound like the serpentine belt. It sounds like it may be the pulley making the noise. I have cold air and the pump engages just fine but it just developed this minor (but noticeable) squeak and I am wondering--

What is about to happen??

What can I do?

I know freon has lubricating oil, should I try filling it?

Is there a way to lube the pump/compressor itself?

I am trying to nip this one in the butt before it fails completely...

Thanks again guys

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Lets not say it was a "chirp" cause that would indicate belt slipping...

It is continuous whirring/squeal but it is minor.. I cannot here it with the windows up, but I do here it with the windows down and when I am outside the truck up to 30ft away..

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
ignore your lubricating idea it does not work that way. Ley me ask you this. it happens when compressor is on only. and when it shuts off it stops instantly?

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

also you have a feeler gauge set handy?

CJMAC14

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ignore your lubricating idea it does not work that way. Ley me ask you this. it happens when compressor is on only. and when it shuts off it stops instantly?

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

also you have a feeler gauge set handy?

Reviving this thread.

I have the same noise. (2014 GMC Yukon XL SLT, 81k Miles)

Yes, the noise stops immediately when the compressor disengages. Noise only occurs while A/C is on.

No feeler gauge set handy :(.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17