A/C compressor bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
My air stopped being cold 2 days ago, up til then it had been fine...
Last Summer I had to add Freon (I had just bought it and past AC history is unknown). About a can topped it off last summer.
OK, so I figured small leak, and it need some freon... chunked some gauges on her, and the freon is just where it should be...
hmmmm, so I swapped relay in the fusebox, and could hear the clutch engage the compressor, but no change on the gauge.... jumped the low pressure switch, and can hear the clutch click but nada.... no change on the gauge, no cooling.
The compressor is not noisy, no belts flung off....

I am unsure how to proceed... I am wondering if the compressor locked up and burned the clutch enough that if clicks to engage but slips and the compressor is locked up, but how can I tell?

I had the same issue and replacing the compressor fixed the problem, the cheapest oem compressor I found was on Rock auto.

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is almost certainly the belt, the compressor turns by hand.... I just overlooked the belt, because it was still around the pullys and I assumed it was all one serpentine belt...

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, all mine was needing was a new belt... I went ahead and changed both belts and both tensioner/idler pully for good measure... Started her up, AC kicked right in...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01