A/C Blower Motor problems - DO NOT LEAVE VENT OPEN CARWASH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Awfiretto

Reaction score
So.. some have you may have read my recent posts of BCM issues.. I thought this was related, but I was wrong...

My A/C blower motor stopped working one day when I started the truck... then again the other day...

It would come back and work just fine, and occasionally the speed would fluctuate. I pulled the blower motor and resistor (5 min with a 7mm and 6mm) and took a look.

I was shocked to see a blue liquid, like concentrated windex, and then some dried pink/green/blue corrosion on the resistor. It was then I realized soap had gotten into the resistor and blower motor from going through the car wash with vent open and A/C on. (I really like the smell inside the truck... don't judge).

Picked the resistor and blower motor from a Advanced and O Reileys... the aftermarket blower worked well, but had a "whine" that changed pitch with the speed. ( https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...mate-control-blower-motor/pm137/4781804?pos=2 )

I have since read the review, and put some wd 40 silicone spray in it and its almost silent now.. thankfully!! I was so frustrated considering all the $$ I have dumped into the truck preparing it for a hopeful many years and miles to come as a family vehicle. Works great now though!

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless the car wash was done with hood open, I dont see how it could be related, referring to title of thread? When driving in the rain, wont you get similar wetness? The only area for water to get into the engine bay is through the grille and that is far from the A/C parts.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guessing in fresh air mode, the air is sucked in at the base of the windshield and if the blower is on high then sprayed soap may get sucked in.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt think about that section....I thought air was sucked from fans but I honestly dont know how any of it works lol.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While driving at speed the area at the base of the windshield where the fresh air intake of the AC is located is under high pressure. Even with the air just on low or off you may feel a good amount of air flow in fresh mode when driving fast.
Recirc uses the inside air and uses it over and over.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it probably can depend on the car wash (angle and power), the one by my house will spit water thru the sunroof seal, so I just slide the cover closed and turn off the ac or turn it down low it definitely blows stuff in it only took once to figure that out.

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same happened to me at the car wash(yes I like the fruity soap smell) I have the sound insulation cover currently off the blower housing, and I saw a drip of BLUE on the weathertechs... Well at the time I had no blue washerfluid(it was water) and there are no other blue fluids I know of in the vehicle... so the force of the "no touch" car wash and the open fresh air vent(or maybe the sun roof drain) was enough to get a drip. I couldn't find where it dripped from nothing else was wet at the time.