A/C Belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raress9596

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to sound like a dumb -ss. But I do feel stupid. How in the heck do I change the a/c belt on my 2010 Tahoe? 84,000 miles and I am doing some routine maintainance. Can't for the life of me figure what GM did. Thanks!

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
whats the problem? cant figure how to remove it or get to it? If your going to replace it, might as well the serp belt too as it needs to be reomved before you can remove the ac belt

2007tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it weird that some reason my ac belt look awful (cracking everywhere) but the serp belt still looks great. 2007 with 75000 miles original belts.

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it weird that some reason my ac belt look awful (cracking everywhere) but the serp belt still looks great. 2007 with 75000 miles original belts.

I've actually seen that a lot. I don't know if this has nothing to do with it but it's possible the belts are made of different material.

Here's a link to what Im referring to.
http://www.gatesprograms.com/beltwear/beltwear

OP
OP
raress9596

raress9596

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed the serpentine belt. Took about 30 seconds. After I took it off I went to change out the belt for the a/c. No tensioner! Just a belt from crank pulley to a/c! Serpentine belt wasn't cracked after 84,000 miles, but was dry. Just doing some routine maintainance. If I can't figure out how to change it I'm going to leave it till either it breaks and hopefully doesn't take out the serp. belt or I have at the dealer and let them do it. arghhhh!

P.S. I think there may be a special tool to change it. Saw something on the cardboard packaging that looks like some sort of tool for install?

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

Well everyone I did a little research. Check out this video below . Just watch it after the Ford Escape part of the video. What a pain in the ass. Can't they leave things alone?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbHumrLIdys

Last edited:

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Oh yea i see what you mean. Ive checked alldata and your supposed to cut old and then using a install tool, stretch new belt onto pulley. I dont know if that tool comes with the belt or not. Ive copied the how too off AD and hopefully the pics work. Pic 1 starting on the left

Air Conditioning Compressor Belt Replacement (V8)Removal Procedure View & Print Options
PIC 1
1. Remove the accessory drive belt.
2. Remove the skid plate. Refer to Engine Shield Replacement
3. Cut the belt (1) from air conditioning (A/C) and crankshaft pulleys.Installation Procedure View & Print Options Note: The OEM replacement stretchy belt is packaged with a disposable installation tool.
PIC2
1. Position the belt behind the rear face of the balancer (1) and off of the A/C pulley (2).
2. Install the belt installation tool (3) onto the balancer.
PIC 3
3. Slide the belt installation tool (1) upward, installing the belt (2) onto the belt installation tool.
4. Slide the belt installation tool downward, positioning the belt onto the A/C pulley, applying light tension to the belt.
PIC4
5. Position the lower portion of the belt (1) with the ribbed area facing forward.
PIC 5
6. Slowly rotate the crankshaft pulley (1) in a clockwise direction while using finger pressure to pull the belt (2) forward. Ensure that the ribbed area of the belt remains facing forward and the belt aligns properly to the A/C pulley.
PIC 6
]7. Inspect the drive belt (1) for proper installation and alignment.
PIC7
8. Rotate the balancer (1) and additional 360 degrees to ensure proper belt installation.
9. Install the skid plate. Refer to Engine Shield Replacement
10. Install the accessory drive belt.

Attachments

• imagesWLinks.jpg
    imagesWLinks.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 114
  • imagesWLinks2.jpg
    imagesWLinks2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 119
  • imagesWLinks3.jpg
    imagesWLinks3.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 120