99 Yukon Starter/Relay issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1999 Yukon 5.7 4wd... 180k

Had a no start last week, poked around and ended up swapping the starter and AC relays...

it started.

I figured that I had a bad relay. So I ordered a couple new ones.

Today I had the same no start, nothing but a single click...

Put in one of the new relays and nothing... put in the other spare, still nothing.

Could I be looking at a starter at this point?

40 & 50 amp fuses are good, new battery, good voltage...

These dont have a separate starter solenoid do they?
Is it possible to short it somehow to get it started in a pinch? Between this and my differential, I am running out of free tows.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If in fact the battery is new, you did not say how old and the quality, it does sound like a starter but I would also check all electrical connections from battery to starter. It does have a solenoid on top that can be jumped across. Still may not start though. Also, if you do change the starter make sure you look to see if there is a shim in there where it bolts up at.

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The battery is by Interstate. Replaced in Summer 2018.

Alternator is also new as is the Negative cable.

As soon as the tow drops it in my driveway, Ill have a look at the positive cables too.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An old mechanic told me to find electrical problems use a $2 test light. Start with the battery, then the solenoid, then the starter. This eliminates switches, cables, and relays.