99 Yukon 5.7..... No start. Have spark and fuel(?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99 Yukon 5.7

Drove normally. 15k on a new GM engine. Ran awesome.

Parked for a while. Started up and filled the tank... came back a week later to start it again, just to run it as its not currently a daily driver...

DEAD battery, which is brand new... took it out and charged it up.
Slapped it in and it cranks fine, but no start

Pulled #1 plug and checked spark, had nice spark
I can hear the fuel pump run @ key on. But no start.
shot some juice into the TB while cranking and nothing at all.

So. There is a spark. BUT its been a while, not sure how rapidly it should be sparking, it seemed slow to me

Fuel... maybe. I cant find my pressure gauge, but it didnt even chug when shooting starting fluid in there

NO fuses out. FP relay should be good since I hear the pump run

Something else I noticed, while engine is cranking there is a ticking... a solenoid type noise, like what you might hear with a dead battery???? its that kind of sound... maybe not as loud (could just be drowned out by engine cranking)

Heres a video, still hard to hear the click

Any thoughts?
In the meantime Ill see about that fuel pressure gauge... are these supposed to be 40psi? cant remember.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel pressure spec is 60-66 psi but that doesn’t sound like your issue since it won’t turn over at all with starting fluid.

I would check the other cylinders for spark and compare them. What brand distributor cap are you using? Delco tends to be the way to go. I had an aftermarket cap that failed after 1,000 miles- it actually turned over when the offending wire was removed for a spark test.

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel pressure spec is 60-66 psi but that doesn’t sound like your issue since it won’t turn over at all with starting fluid.

I would check the other cylinders for spark and compare them. What brand distributor cap are you using? Delco tends to be the way to go. I had an aftermarket cap that failed after 1,000 miles- it actually turned over when the offending wire was removed for a spark test.
Not sure.
Looking at my records it looks like these were put on by the PO when the engine was installed.... about 25k ago.

Should probably replace plugs, wires, cap, etc

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably just cap and rotor after sitting. as mentioned above by east302 alot of aftermarket caps and or whole distributors tend to build up excessive moisture and can cause your problem. when you pull the distributor cap off look for the tattle tale green splatter. easy sign there has been excessive moisture build up thats not being vented properly. take a look at the distributor base and shaft aswell and look for any brand markings. basic distributors from most local autoparts stores dont like the vent properly and the caps dont seal right.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
New engine 15k ago or 25k ago? Two different stories here. Yes, inspect the cap and rotor and anything inside there. I would also remove all plugs and do a complete compression test and get an actual fuel pressure test reading.

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New engine 15k ago or 25k ago? Two different stories here. Yes, inspect the cap and rotor and anything inside there. I would also remove all plugs and do a complete compression test and get an actual fuel pressure test reading.

You caught me... Totally made it all up...

Or its a typo.

Motor put in 25k ago.

Plugs wires cap & rotor all on order

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You caught me... Totally made it all up...

Or its a typo.

Motor put in 25k ago.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Perfect time to do the compression test I asked about and to get the reading for the fuel pressure.

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the cap/rotor/plugs/wires today... cap didnt look too bad.

Although while at RockAuto I bought a few more things that I have yet to change out on the Yukon just in case. (Ive literally replaced just about everything but the transmission on this thing)

Looks like the culprit was the ignition coil.

The one in the was probably the original, at least assuming so as it was still riveted to the bracket.

Fired right up.

Tomorrow I take on the starter, slap some insurance on it and it becomes my daily driver again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgia 4Low