99 Tahoe Steering Box Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

Reaction score
Alot of confusing info on the EVO here- thought I could help. Evo used 97-98. Some 99's had it. I don't know of any 2000 OBS that used EVO. That said, easiest fix is 96 pressure line to steering gear. Cheaper and most effective long term fix than the Adapter elbow(less Fittings to leak). NOTHING different on steering gear. Look at back of steering pump. Do you have Wires going to it? That is EVO valve. Don't repair EVO system. Remove valve from pump and tywrap to harness behind pump. Computer sees EVO Valve and won't set code.

All LT Suburban/Tahoes and SLE and SLT Yukon XL/Yukons for 1997-99 came with EVO as standard. EVO was optional on LS and SL trim package, but was included in almost all of them. Fleet sales generally didn't have EVO.

The original AC Delco steering gears for EVO had a different part number than non-EVO SUV's. Over time aftermarket steering gears were manufactured to work with both. Currently, there are no new manufactured steering gears specifically for the EVO equipped SUV's that I am aware of.
Will new steering gears for non-EVO work? I've been told they work, but they are a bit wonky. My brother's 98 Suburban (bought new) has been through the original and one newly manufactured AC Delco steering gears, and currently has a Bluetop rebuilt from his original steering gear that came on the Suburban. So far, so good, but he only has about 6-7k on it. He's kept his EVO intact and in good working order.

I've owned GMT400's continuously since 1993, currently own two. I have been down this winding steering road........

It would require a novelette to explain everything, but ball joints (not MOOG, they suck for IFS trucks), new differential carrier bushings, something similar to factory spec shocks (think Bilstein), new control arm bushings are all part of the package that makes the steering resemble the way these trucks/SUV's steered when new--I've owned new and practically new GMT400's and they steered very well--so I have a reference point to work from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98