99 tahoe rear end swap for disc brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MangledDangler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi folks, first post here. I am hoping to find a swap to disc brakes on my 99 tahoe with 3.73 and leaf springs. Curious if you know the models this could work from? Have been looking on ebay and craigslist to see what's out there. Appreciate any advice at all. If there is already a thread on this I am happy to delete once I find it. Thanks!

Todd R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A 90's Camaro should work just fine. You could always go Ford 9 in. That already has the brake conversion. It's really not that hard and is a serious upgrade and you can get a lot more tire with that. I'd add 410 gears while it's out. You'll have to do the gearing to the front as well if you decide to do so.

Cherokee1790

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi folks, first post here. I am hoping to find a swap to disc brakes on my 99 tahoe with 3.73 and leaf springs. Curious if you know the models this could work from? Have been looking on ebay and craigslist to see what's out there. Appreciate any advice at all. If there is already a thread on this I am happy to delete once I find it. Thanks!
I have a 99 Tahoe LT towing posi the works and just bought a rear disc brake kit from jegs they said it would fit so being 76 years old I took my Tahoe to a shop in town just to find out it did not fit and jegs researched it to come back and tell no kit avalible for it so I paid for nothing. I love my Tahoe but never liked the rear drum brakes even with an electric brake on my car trailer it still feels like it is not going to stop. The Manufacture said it would work the kit is made by SSBC and does not work

Kelsda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look into a hydra boost system kit already in some early Tahoe’s could find parts in bone yard or buy new also when shopping for rear brake shoes ask for trailer shoes they are a little longer a little more stopping power and if I’m not mistaken someone on here wrote about spacers for those disc kits to make them work

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my kit from Little Shop manufacturing and then combined it with a GMT 800 hydroboost from a 2003 Escalade and I swapped the fronts with SBC calipers and rotors. My chevy shops like a BMW now.

Finding the hydroboost pedal from a GMT 400 is the hard part. You need to find a 2500 truck and even most of them didn't have hydroboost.

PS - with respect to the above post, the GMT 400 hydro for rear drums doesn't work for this set up. I found this out the hard way. You will wind up with a mushy pedal that goes to the floor.

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Astro vans had the hydroboost. I always look when im at the junkyard... suburbans too maybe???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt