99 Tahoe left front axle seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pedub

Reaction score
Hello, I just replaced the front left axle seal and its leaking again, are these a 2 piece seal that spins in the seal? I put the half shaft through the seal and the center of the seal spins with the shaft, is this rite? Thanks

OP
OP
pedub

pedub

Reaction score
Thanks for reply, dont know how it could be a bad installation, put it in nice and square and flush ? wrong part, hmmm dont know, it looked rite

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Doubt if wrong part because that would be scary weird that it fit as should and be the wrong part. Either faulty install or failed correct part. Did you tap it in a tiny bit at a time with a small hammer or use the correct seal install tool?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not an uncommon bad part issue as the seal is molded right onto the metal ring on the better brands of these style seals. other suggestion assuming you used the original half shaft. how did the contact area of the shaft look prior to installation. did you install the shaft with some oil or other type of lubricant? if its a weaker style seal with no pre lub the initial rotation of the shaft can break the seal loose.

OP
OP
pedub

pedub

Reaction score
Yes I started very carefully and used a seal driver to finish, half shaft looked good, no marks, I oiled the seal and it went in nice, I think I will try a OEM
Thank you Guys, will let you know what I end up with

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes I started very carefully and used a seal driver to finish, half shaft looked good, no marks, I oiled the seal and it went in nice, I think I will try a OEM
Thank you Guys, will let you know what I end up with
What brand seal did you use before? Tell me it was not a National Seal......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne