99 Tahoe ac Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmurphy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
AC is blowing hot. I have power to the clutch on the compressor when i turn on the ac but it does not engage. Is the compressor bad? Also should the fan when on high and the ac is turned on blow Faster?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
blower speed is dependent on the switch. the evaporator might be clogged restricting flow. Are you saying all four speed are not available. If you have power to the compressor clutch when the a/c is turned on but does not engage the compressor then you have a faulty clutch or bad ground.

OP
OP
G

gmurphy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
all 4 fan speeds work I thought it was supposed to blow a little harder when you have the fan on high and turn on the ac. I have 13vots going to the clutch and the ground is good

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
when the temp mode id on the full left detent it goes into an automatic recirc mode which would give the effect of faster flow because it is not fighting resistance to push it out of a closed up vehicle. Of course you can manually select recirc at any temp. If you have system voltage at the clutch and it does not engage then the clutch unit must be replaced. it can be replaced separately from the compressor but you will likely need the special tool to do it. most parts stores should have it or loan it out.

gwrtahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently had a similar problem with my '99 Tahoe. I took it to the Chevy dealer and they wanted to replace the compressor and some other parts for $1,200 - $1,400. I took it to a mechanic that was recommended to me (in a small shop with 2 mechanics). The compressor ran intermittently and he said he could only check it if it was not running. I returned when the compressor was not running and he checked the pressure and a few electrical components and found all of that in order. He then struck the outer clutch plate with a piece of wood and the clutch engaged and the compressor started running. He concluded that the gap between the clutch plates was too great due to wear and adjusted it with a special clutch tool to reduce the gap. It has worked fine since then. He did say that the compressor is obviously old and could fail at any time. I understand that but as long as it works, I'm happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak