99' Tahoe 5.7 Vortec power upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wcole35

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hello everyone i am new to the forum and new to the vortec upgrade lifestyle. I have a 99 tahoe lt and about 3500 to spend. I have looked into a bunch of upgrades and bolt on kits but it seems that everything comes at the expense of the computer. and most of them pretty much wreck the entire cpu set up. (ie Edelbrock top end performance upgrade 2096) I really want to rebuild the engine but don't want to mess up the CPU system doing it. I see that people recommend intakes and exhausts. i also see that the #1 upgrade would be a tune. I don't really know how these work. should i buy the tune module or just pay for the tune? looking for a lot of help. thanks in advance.

The Vortec Newb!

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am fairly new as well and just installed a crate motor. I added the Volant CAI when I did the motor swap. My next move is a BB tune.

97yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i ran a 14.9 with the upgrades listed in my sig. i will be installing a lt4 hot cam kit pretty soon and probably the 1 inch intake spacer untill i can afford a ram jet intake. with 3500 hundred you can make some big numbers. just have to talk to the right guy. but if your trying to make big hps, a tunes not going to get you there.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
If you've got a 99 Tahoe, you don't have TBI - you've got a Vortec (dry intake vs. tbi's wet intake). I wouldn't go backward in technology. Power and efficiency can both be gained with the Vortec compared to the TBI/carb setup.

OP
OP
W

wcole35

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the knowledge! I am going to STROKE this hoe! I am finding it increasingly hard to find top end stuff with this. I am going to use the eagle 383 kit with e-tec 170 heads, stock manifold and spyder. My engine guy said that he will massage the 170's as well. I am going to add cai and new 3" headers and exhaust. I will be getting it tuned locally as i have found a Chevy guru. Thanks to all for your help. This project will begin the first of February. i will post updates and pics when it begins.

Last edited:

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would upgrade the spider to the new design. When I replaced my motor I pulled the stock spider, ever single fuel tube was cracked and caked at the tips where it enters the cylinders. I used fuel injector cleaner every 2 months and I sea foamed her 8 months ago...and still caked and crappy!!

TahoeJim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would upgrade the spider to the new design. When I replaced my motor I pulled the stock spider, ever single fuel tube was cracked and caked at the tips where it enters the cylinders. I used fuel injector cleaner every 2 months and I sea foamed her 8 months ago...and still caked and crappy!!

When was the new design introduced? Where is it available to purchase now, GM or the aftermarket?

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked mine up from amazon.com . They moved the injectors to the ends. Amazon has it at the lowest price...around $250.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts