99 Tahoe 5.7 leaking coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jconn813

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys my names Joseph I have a 1999 Tahoe 5.7 4x4 and it is gushing coolant from the starter area replaced the lower and upper intake manifold gaskets this week becuase they were gushing too. Cranked it up for the first time and it just started gushing from the starter area looked up and can’t really tell where it’s leaking from could some one shed some light on this please. Oh also I used felpro intake gaskets.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell us a little about why you replaced the gaskets initially? Any coolant leaks prior to that? What coolant related items did you disassemble or touch in the process of replacing the gaskets? The plastic heater hose fittings in that vicinity get brittle over time and may have gotten compromised if handled roughly during the intake gasket replacement.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
1999 GMC Yukon Denali is leaking puddles of antifreeze but reservoir is not low
Hell of a way to welcome yourself to the forum.

Lots more info needed and please please please, don't think that you get to join for free advice without vehicle info and personal info.

Not a chance that there are puddles, you know where fluid hits the hard surface and spreads and makes you think is a lot of fluid, and reservoir is still full. Or is "reservoir not low" mean something else? or it is not coolant?

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1999 GMC Yukon Denali is leaking puddles of antifreeze but reservoir is not low
If the leak was pre-existing, the former owner may have added stop leak to the overflow tank, causing it to plug up. Remove the overflow tank and make sure fluid flows through the hole on the bottom. If not, clear it out and then flush with some water before reinstalling it.

Then continue to monitor it to confirm your radiator cap is working properly as well.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had bad coolant leaks on my '97. It was leaking from the quick disconnect fitting at the intake and running down the back of the engine. I replaced both the hose and the fitting at the intake. There was also a pinhole leak at the two small water pump hoses, which I replaced with OEM GM parts. Then I got the lower intake manifold off, and had major pitting and corrosion at the coolant port. I had to hot parts washer, sand blast, and epoxy the area before reassembly with new gaskets.IMG_4807.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne