'99 Suburban Left Rear Window Stopped Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

510man

Reaction score
Back to close this one out. The new Delco motor works. The switch was fine. Both the new and old switch work fine.

So what was wrong?

On close inspection, the gear width (not diameter) of the VDO motor is about 30% greater than the OEM motor. As such, when the three motor mounting bolts are tightened down, the gear is forced against the mounting bracket creating a bind where the gear can't turn. The OEM gear flies over the mounting bracket by a few thousandths of an inch. Adding 30% more width isn't going to work. The VDO and Delco motor look identical when you hold them side by side........but upon closer inspection, the gears are different and it's a critical difference.

Problem #2 is that it's easy to bend the mount slightly when drilling out the factory mounting rivets. They tend to spin before you get them drilled out so you have to pry and chisel them out. That said, I bent my mounting bracket ever so slightly but it was critical to the gear clearing the mounting bracket. I used some thin washers on the three motor mounting bolts between the motor and the mounting bracket to shim the gear away from the mount .030" or so. It gave me just the clearance I needed. The gear spins freely and the window now works as it should.

I would have purchased the motor and mechanicals as an assembly but it wasn't available for the rear door. I could buy it for the front doors but not the rear doors.

Hope the info helps the next person.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for updating, that’s good information to keep in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon