98 Yukon. New Column, Wont Start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mattcon40

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So an I correct in assuming this is passlock2 even tho the key has no resistor pellet?

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Now I'm thinking if the vehicle has passlock 2. My issue is that try out a passlock 1 column from a 96 and this is why I can't disable it

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
resistor keys is actually passkey system. whether exposed resistor or rfid chip in the key, they would have "PK(one more character) stamped on the metal of key. your suv is the passlock system where the magic happens between mainly the lock cylinder and surrounding cylinder sensor. still need a key to be in it but not a resistor or rfid type one.
also any passlock system was not put into suv or trucks until 1998. so your '96 column should not have any system on it.

OP
OP
M

mattcon40

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So if I decided to get another column does anyone know what ones will work? Or can I just change the ignition to a newer passlock 2

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
98-99 suv or truck. like i said i never seen or heard of anyone swapping over a pass lock to a non passlock column. i am sure there will be some structural differences in the column but will take a look later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mattcon40

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I will be swapping the whole column, resetting the passlock and calling it a day... I hope

OP
OP
M

mattcon40

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The end soulition was that the column they had installed was from a 96, I swapped one in from a 98, reset the security and drove it around! But now I have no turn signals. So I replaced the multi function switch and still have no turn signals, no click no anything. also no high beams. wipers work tho

Phisher0420

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
disable the passlock. had it in my previous car and it always failed to start so i disabled the crap. Your security light will be on permanently but you can always pull the bulb
How do I disable on 2002 Yukon.... I'm stuck 5 hours from home and it's making me crazy

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I disable on 2002 Yukon.... I'm stuck 5 hours from home and it's making me crazy
There are some Youtube videos on bypassing the Passlock but it's a hack and if the battery gets disconnected or goes dead you're SOL. From memory if the Passlock acts up you can turn the key to the on position and leave it for 10 min and it will reset. Do the google should be able to find how to do it. You can send the PCM off and have the Passlock disabled internally.