98 Yukon. New Column, Wont Start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if it was from a 96 you have a serious problem. it is blinking becuase there is a problem in the passlock system if the passlock parts in the '98 were not moved over to the '96 column(never even seen that tried by the way) the system will assume an illegal vehicle start is taking place. the passlock lock cylinder will trigger the passslock sensor and if it sees a proper trigger from the lock cylinder it will pass the info the to the passlock computer and that will trigger the pcm to enable the fuel pump to run. if one part is missing it may fail-safe allow that will let in run with the light on the whole time or just fail and lock out the fuel pump. you can try the relearn procedure but all the parts must be in place. you can also visit a company with a proper tuning program to disable the system. dealer can do it to i think.

McFizzl

Broke as a Joke.
Reaction score
disable the passlock. had it in my previous car and it always failed to start so i disabled the crap. Your security light will be on permanently but you can always pull the bulb

McFizzl

Broke as a Joke.
Reaction score
You can do it that way yes. IF! the wires are there. you solder a resistor inline with the wires. You can also disable the whole passlock system and take it out of the vehicle.(Comes in handy when going aftermarket security).

Found this for Passlock 2. Idk if thats what you have
http://coloradofans.com/forums/67-t...w-permanently-disable-passlock-ii-system.html

And this is Passlock 1
http://old.kingbain.com/how-to/how-to-permanently-disable-gm-passlock-system.html

Good luck. I did it differently tho. I just started ripping crap out in a rage. I dont recommend it.

OP
OP
M

mattcon40

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How could I figure out witch pass lock it is? I know the key has no chip or resistor in it

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
take a pic of your key to post here to be sure but if they did not transfer those parts then yeah the truck is dead until bypassed. further more you can not remove the system after you bypass it. the module co-mingles with evo system for steering.

OP
OP
M

mattcon40

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. I will get a picture of the key today. It's a regular key with the vynal gm logo. I also have a straight metal copy they both do the same thing. No resistor on the key it self. I'm wondering if I can bypass this even tho it's an older column because I don't get the steady security light. Maybe I wil have to swap the passlock to a newer one or end up swapping the column all together... Man I win they didn't throw out the old column lol

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
sounds like the normal passlock 2 to me. there are bypass kits out there. the problem is tho they are usually wired to the passlock controller AND the steering column components.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts