98 yukon, can you burn out a cap and rotor with undergapped plugs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello gentleman, Today I changed spark plugs because the ones I put in months ago were un gapped, maybe 2-3. Not sure how that happened. Long story short, Got new plugs in, running like a champ, go on a test drive, come back, engine sounds like it wants to die. Now I'm trying to figure out what changed. New wires, brand new AC DELCO plugs too, wires are AC Delco as well. Pulled the cap and it looks corroded somehow, like it's been on there for years. It's only four months old. Could have running under gapped plugs for a month or two cause damage to the cap and rotor? I know this whole situation sounds really weird, at this point I'm chasing a chain reaction from 11 months ago, Wondering if I burned out my cap. Thanks for any advice! New plugs are properly gapped too, and MAF sensor is working properly after mechanic threw in a new one. In my mind the only thing we changed are the plugs and wires, so if those are good, most likely cap related?

I realized under gapped mean's it's not sparking enough and not getting hot enough, but could that factor still damage a cap and rotor? Thank you all for advice! I must have flooded the 98 Yukon page with my name by now...Here's what the cap looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_6601.jpg
    IMG_6601.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 3

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In your first go round it was mentioned about driving with any miss will shorten life of all spark components- Cap/rotor/ wires/ plugs. Clean/remove vent screen for better ozone removal.

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quality of cap and rotor? Did you use GM brand? There is a vent at bottom plate of distributor that needs to be clean for good air flow as well.
Ac delco, Looks like that's not even the problem anymore. I was wondering if maybe the cap is burned out but I Just discovered that Idle fuel pressure is around 55! Making another post haha

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, idle fuel pressure minimum, IMO, should be 60-65 psi.
Threw up another post hoping someone can help me diagnose either my fuel pressure regulator or injectors, Pretty certain it's the regulator though. Just can't be 100% sure yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep