98 2 door tahoe 4x4 in sand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Upper tanker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I plan on taking my Tahoe to our annual family camping trip this weekend, and there are sand dunes about 30 minutes away from where we are staying. I am planning on taking my 2 door there, but I would like to know what to expect.

It has a mild build 350 vortec, cranked keys (just a little), detroit locker in the rear, 4.10 gears all the way around, and 265/75r16 Cooper Discoverer At3 tires with about 90% tread left. I plan to air down to about 12 psi to start.

I don't drive this much (due to the fuel mileage, but when I built it I didn't give a shit), but I have driven it in snow before and it was a tank. OBVIOUSLY sand is way different than snow.

Anyways, anybody have any tips or feedback on how theirs did in sand with at least tires like mine? If its going to suck, I probably won't take it. Nobody likes getting stuck!

EDIT: I know it doesn't matter, but it's a 97. Too early for foruming!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your tires aired down shouldn't perform too badly. my biggest suggestion is keep your head in the sand as you can dig yourself a hole quick. if you feel like your losing alot if speed trying to crest a dune turn out of it before you dig yourself in. easier to make cool sounding excuses if you turn out and try again with a different angle than if your buried to the frame.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bring a tow rope or chain that is rated beyond the weight of the truck, bring some means of communication, make other people CLEARLY aware of where you will be and when you plan to return. that's my 2 cents otherwise have fun!

OP
OP
U

Upper tanker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm a few months late, but it performed GREAT in the sand. I aired down to about 9 lbs/tire. The only time that I had to use reverse was to back out of my spot near the beach. I climbed the biggest and first hill (named "Test hill") in 1st gear @5k rpm without issue. In fact, I misjudged the distance to the crest of the hill, and had to slam on my breaks and almost slid off down the other side. I had a bubba rope, tow rope, and a bunch of D rings with me. The trip was a blast and I would definitely go back. Maybe next time I'll do some playing in 2wd to see how that works for me.

The Silver Lake Sand Dunes is where we went. There are some interesting videos on Youtube, for those who may be interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep