97 Tahoe whistling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Mark97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the other suggestions. That will give me a few things to check today. I'll let you know what I find later today.

OP
OP
M

Mark97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok. So this is what I found out today. The whistle only happens when the temperature control is set all the way cold. As soon as I get 4 "clicks" warmer, the whistle goes away. Does not fade out, it just stops.
Happens with the fan on or off. The a/c doesn't matter - on or off it whistles.
Until I go warmer, then it stops. I turn it back cold and the whistle starts again.

Tried every combination of idle, moving, a/c on or off, vent, feet, defrost. It blows hot and cold as appropriate. It just whistles when temperature is set to cold

The pic is the point where the whistling stops.

IMG_20200918_064459335.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Last edited:

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the vacuum line to the heater control valve. There is a soloniod on the firewall and the hose from it should run to the heater control valve which is basically below the air filter. The heater control valve is a black plastic thing with two hoses in and two hoses out that run to the firewall. Link to image

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=84579&cc=1061356&jsn=753

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable. The solenoid is energized when the temp dial is set to the “max” detent. That then applies engine vacuum to the heater valve.

The solenoid has a hard vacuum line running from the PCV fitting and across the intake. The soft vacuum line goes from the solenoid to the heater valve.

Sounds like the soft line could be disconnected/broken if it only happens when MAX is selected.

OP
OP
M

Mark97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now that I know it's not an immediate mechanical issue, unfortunately this has gone down a couple slots on my to do list.
Hope to get to it in the next couple days - I will def let you know what I find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekahgentry

Latest posts